We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Female Travelling to India Aone in March

New Jersey, United...
Level Contributor
2 posts
15 reviews
Save Topic
Female Travelling to India Aone in March

Hi Everyone!

I've been looking through all these forums and posts and realized a lot of the answer are to check the Ta forum or do they don't have website info. Ah! So I was hoping you can help.

I'm traveling to Goa for 6 days and then New Delhi for 2 nights in March.

I'd like to contact a reputable travel agency for airport pick-up, Taj Mahal tour, and possible New Delhi tour. Do you know of any and their website/contact info? I don't want to hire a private driver, I would rather book everything through a company for my first time!

Also, since I will really only have one full day to tour the city of New Delhi (since Saturday will be Taj Mahal) Do you recommend a car or a Tuk tuk?

I plan to stay in the Connaught place area, so I'm not sure how close some of the great sites are, but judging by traffic and etc, I'm trying to figure out the best way to go around New Delhi and make the most of my time.

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Thank you!,

11. Re: Female Travelling to India Aone in March

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

TripAdvisor staff removed this post because it did not meet TripAdvisor's forum posting guidelines with prohibiting self-promotional advertising or solicitation.

We ask all of our members to keep their forum messages free of self-promoting advertisements or solicitation of any kind - members affiliated with any tourism-related business should not include commercial contact information or URLs in their forum messages.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 7:16 am, August 30, 2013
12. Re: Female Travelling to India Aone in March

This post was determined to be inappropriate by the TripAdvisor community and has been removed.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

Our staff may also remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason. Thanks for being a part of the TripAdvisor travel community!

Removed on: 6:35 am, January 16, 2013
New Delhi, India
Level Contributor
2,597 posts
205 reviews
Save Reply
13. Re: Female Travelling to India Aone in March

the best in Delhi would be Mann tours

other than that you can pre book your hotels and transfers from Makemytrip.com

or cleartip.com

New Delhi, India
5 posts
Save Reply
14. Re: Female Travelling to India Aone in March

Experience Hop On Hop Off Bus, a Delhi Tourism Initiative- Comfortable, Flexible & Reliable.

Check out Video Here ----> www.youtube.com/watch…

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
495 posts
79 reviews
Save Reply
15. Re: Female Travelling to India Aone in March

Connaught Circus is the Times Square of Delhi - filled with hotels, very touristy,lots of touts. To the north is the Red Fort - apparently best viewed from the outside, these days, which is a shame, and Chandi Chowk, which is intense, and the Jama Masjid, An old and vast mosque. This is where tour groups always take people.

To the south is the oldest part of Delhi and the best shopping. Then there are the Governmanrt and Raj historical buildings in the closer-in South.

The key thing in planning your trip is to realize how horrible the traffic is and how it limits your day.

I would start at Humyan's Tomb, as soon as it opens. It is the "pre-Taj" and is beautiful and peaceful. You could do a quick stop at nearby Lodhi Gardens, to see folks out for their morning constitutional and some small tombs. From there, head to the far south to see the Qutab Minar and surrounding complex . Very old and wonderful. Normally, this is not "first time" Delhi.

From there, head to Dilli Haat for shopping and a quick overview of Imdian crafts for sale, primarily textiles. It opens at 11 and is uptown until about 9PM. The vendors change every 15 days - try to find out if it is a changeover day, when it is not worth going. I wouldn't eat there.

From there, see what you want of Raj/official Delhi and then head up to the Red Fort, etc. this is really more than you can do, but it gives you an idea of how things are grouped.

Do NOT waste time at the State Emporia - they have been a mess for years. Central Cottage Industries has also declined. I wish I could tell you where to go for this stuff - I came back today and couldn't figure that out.

Shopping at Khan Market, not far from Huyman's Tomb, is good - check Anokhi, FabIndia and The Good Eartth for clothing. Lots of good places to eat.

Be leery of commissions given to any driver.

Take an AC car.

Hope this helps.

Short Hills, New...
Level Contributor
60 posts
116 reviews
Save Reply
16. Re: Female Travelling to India Aone in March

Don't go !!! India deserves to be boycotted for the way it treats women, the country has some serious issues to sort. Foreigners are not safe either. Have you read about the number of gang rapes that have occurred there ? While these are not news, they are finally attracting the negative publicity they desperately needed to. And the way lawmakers react to such crimes is appalling - they end up blaming the women. You don't even have the comfort of the law being on your side, if something were to happen.

Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
3 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
17. Re: Female Travelling to India Aone in March

What a ridiculous comment: "don't go" ! If you want a sanitized & biased view of the world, stay at home and turn on the TV. If you want to really experience a country, and perhaps both educate yourself and do something about the many inequities there are in ALL countries, then go traveling (and don't just stay in the 5 star hotels to "protect yourself" from all the "badness" out there....)

By the way, India recently ushered in new legislation that addresses some of the inequities against women. It's certainly not perfect, but it's a step change forward and it's a result of people actually doing something about what they feel isn't right. As Ghandi said, "Be the change you want the world to be!"

I am writing this from India, where I am traveling for a few months (single woman, alone), and it's been a wonderful experience so far.

Edited: 7:49 am, February 17, 2013
18. Re: Female Travelling to India Aone in March

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:15 am, February 19, 2014