We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

First time traveler to India

Which New Delhi hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
j s
San Francisco...
4 posts
Save Topic
First time traveler to India

Hi-I am traveling to India for the very first time and received all appropriate and necessary vaccinations. Do I need to be very concerned regarding dengue fever in mumbai, new delhi, jaipur, & agra.

Thanks!

Agra
Destination Expert
for Agra
Level Contributor
4,827 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: First time traveler to India

You can take a precaution like carry some Mosquito spray/cream as a protective measure.

Delhi
Destination Expert
for New Delhi
Level Contributor
4,300 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: First time traveler to India

No need to be worry about Dengue fever , it is almost over now. If you are planning to stay in some decent accommodations ( 03/ 03star ++) & good locality then no need to think about it.

You can carry some Mosquito Repellant cream if you wish.

Dehradun, India
Level Contributor
21 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: First time traveler to India

Yes don't worry every thing is now fine, and enjoy you vacations in India, and if you want carry mosquito Cream but at this time does not need. so don't worry be happy and Happy Journey !!

New Delhi, India
1 post
Save Reply
4. Re: First time traveler to India

Don't worry about these issues , As it is winter season you wont be bothered by these issues , so come and enjoy , we have so many guest coming to our BnB in Delhi and they love the atmosphere here right now. Wish you great times ahead.

Enjoy !!!!!

New Delhi, India
Level Contributor
2,595 posts
200 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: First time traveler to India

as the winter season is here you need not worry about such things anymore- all you need is a mosquito repellent cream of a spray if you still fear the mosquito

j s
San Francisco...
4 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: First time traveler to India

great. thank you so much for all of your replies. I will def carry the spray. Deets spray right? I will be staying in 5* hotels/luxury hotels in all cities so I am sure I will be ok then. The Nytimes had a disturbing article about dengue fever and the statistics were very pronounced which caused me some anxiety.

Any tips on clothing to what to wear in Mumbai for january and up north? The weather seems to be so sporadic!

Thank you again!

j s
San Francisco...
4 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: First time traveler to India

Thanks again-Just to add, I will be in Mumbai for a few days 2nd week of January then going to new delhi, agra and jaipur for a few days for the remainder of the trip. What should I bring to wear?

Agra
Destination Expert
for Agra
Level Contributor
4,827 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: First time traveler to India

Come prepared with some winter clothing like Jackets/pullovers.GT is more cooler than Mumbai....but this year in Jan Mumbai was cold.

Thanks

Rashid Agra

j s
San Francisco...
4 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: First time traveler to India

Hi Rash-thank you for your prompt response. How cold would it be for Mumbai? winter in India is not like winter in NY. Would I need a winter coat? Also, should there be any concerns regarding dengue fever in mumbai since it is warmer there? According to weather.com, it appears it would be warm..I am so confused!

agra india
Destination Expert
for Agra, Jaipur, New Delhi
Level Contributor
7,749 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: First time traveler to India

Yes it will be warm in Mumbai. But in Delhi, Agra it will be aroound 10-15 degree centigrade in day time so bring warm clothes. As you mentioned you will be staying in 5 star hotels so need not to worry about mosquito bites or Dengu.

deepak