We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

New Delhi visit ideas

NY
Level Contributor
248 posts
142 reviews
Save Topic
New Delhi visit ideas

I arrive in Delhi Sunday afternoon and realize that many sites are closed on Monday including the HopOnHopOff bus which I thought would be the perfect way to see things.

Please tell me if the following idea is feasible have no clear sense of the distances involved-

Monday:

-taking the Metro to Meehrauli Archeological Park, then taking it back to Race Course and seing Lodi Gardens, then walking to Hamayun's Tomb.

Tuesday:

- walking around Vijay Chowk, seeing the Museum of Modern Art, Crafts Museum and Purana Qila.

On Wednesday I join a tour that begins with Chandni Chowk, Jami Masjid and the Red Fort.

I end up back in Delhi and have Republic Day free before I leave but I fear everything will be closed and have no idea what to do that day.

Any advice is greatly appreciated

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
495 posts
79 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: New Delhi visit ideas

Why not hire a taxi for the day or use taxis, etc. to get around in places where the metro doesn't go? Ask around for a driver - they are not necessarily expensive.

See the tomb first thing in the morning. You can do the park after, but still in the morning.

New Delhi
Level Contributor
410 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: New Delhi visit ideas

A better option will be hiring a cab for the day on both Monday and Tuesday. Metro is a good option but again you will have to spend lot of time in searching the exact location of where you want to go. The CAB on the other side will cost you not more that USD 40-50 per day and will take you around all the places you want to go.

With regards to the distance, you can manage the Mehrauli Archeological Park from Qutub Minar Metro Station which will be within 1.5 miles distance. But for the other destination (lodhi Garden and Humayun's Tomb) the distance will be more than three miles and not feasible to cover walking.

New Delhi, India
Level Contributor
729 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: New Delhi visit ideas

On Monday, I would suggest you do some window shopping across Delhi. Places like Dilli Haat, Khan Market, Hauz Khaz Village will be a good experience. All these places can be covered by Delhi Metro. Later in the day visit Humayun Tomb & Lodhi Gardens.

On Tuesday, you can make a visit to Akshardham & Kingdom of Dreams if your group tour does not include these sites. Alternatively you can take the HOHO Red / Green route depending on sites that are excluded from your group tour.

Titus

NY
Level Contributor
248 posts
142 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: New Delhi visit ideas

Thanks for the replies. I guess it is more practical to take a cab between sites but I usually enjoy using the metro in cities because it is so much more interesting than being isolated in s cab.

Shopping on Monday makes sense since do many things are closed. Since it is my first day in India it probably should be window shopping since I will have no idea of good prices nor do I want to carry it around for two weeks.

West Yorks
Level Contributor
869 posts
43 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: New Delhi visit ideas

Take an auto rickshaw instead. Cheaper and more fun. I used a combination of metro to get as near to the sights as possible and then took a rickshaw as often it is just too far to walk.

New Delhi, India
Level Contributor
2,597 posts
204 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: New Delhi visit ideas

on republic day it is better to head to the malls as everything else would be closed

New Delhi, India
Level Contributor
123 posts
52 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: New Delhi visit ideas

Please check before you head to the markets for shopping. Most of the local markets are closed on Monday (Karol Bagh, Lajpat Nagar, Sarojini Nagar, South X, Def Col). Akshardham and Kingdom of Dreams are my favourite places in Delhi and they are also closed on Monday. Red Fort too.

Pune, India
10 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: New Delhi visit ideas

I am reaching Hazrat Nizamuddin at around 10 in morning and have a train to Kalka at 9.30PM from Old Delhi. I plan to visit the following places in the time being :

1) Akshardham

2) Red Fort

3) Qutub Minar

Can you tell me other places I can cover. I think Akshardham to Old Delhi is far off. Suggest a good way to move around and not miss the train as well. I visited Akshardham and it is splendid in evening. The only glitch is that Old Delhi is far off. Please suggest.

New Delhi, India
Level Contributor
729 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: New Delhi visit ideas

Manoj,

I would suggest you cover the destinations in New Delhi.

You could start by visiting Humayun Tomb, Qutab Minar, Lotus Temple & then end up with Akshardham. Covering Akshardham will itself take 3-4hrs.

Red Fort is off-the route and is in Old Delhi. It will close by sunset. Probably on your return you could cover Red Fort & Jama Masjid .

Titus.

New Delhi, India
Level Contributor
2,597 posts
204 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: New Delhi visit ideas

Manoj,

Hazrat Nizzamuddin station is very close to the Humayun'a tomb so you can begin your sight seeing from there and after that you should go visit akshar dham temple and from akshardham temple you can go to the old Delhi area and visit the Jama Masjid and after that the Red fort- there is a sight and sound show at red fort in the evening if possible try and catch that and the old delhi railway station is very close to the Red fort so even if you are free before the train timing you can explore the Chandni Chowk area and shop for yourself and your family - also chandni chowk has very good dining options and you can have a good meal before you board the train