We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Dengue Fever in Northern India

Evanston, Illinois
Level Contributor
4 posts
69 reviews
Save Topic
Dengue Fever in Northern India

We are planning to be in Delhi, Jaipur, Agra & Varanasi in February. What is the situation regarding Dengue fever risks at that time?

Agra
Destination Expert
for Agra
Level Contributor
5,122 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Dengue Fever in Northern India

The problem related to mosquitoes is more in wet season....in Feb the weather is pleasant or little cooler so it is going to be alright...u need to take general precaution carry some mosquito repellant/cream/spray to keep them away.

Thanks and Regards

Rashid Agra

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
495 posts
79 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Dengue Fever in Northern India

Lower than in the wet season, but do some reading

nytimes.com/2012/…

3. Re: Dengue Fever in Northern India

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post has been removed at the author's request. The author may repost if desired.

Posts on the TripAdvisor forums may be edited for a short period of time. Once the edit period has expired, authors may update their posts by removing and reposting them.

To read more about editing your posts, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/help/how_to_edit_your_posts

Removed on: 9:28 am, May 16, 2014
New York City, New...
Level Contributor
491 posts
158 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Dengue Fever in Northern India

Please do not understate the grave danger of getting Dengue Fever in India!

Uk
Level Contributor
97 posts
47 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Dengue Fever in Northern India

1 in 6 tourists get dengue fever !! WOW

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
491 posts
158 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Dengue Fever in Northern India

Take a look at this new article from India about dengue fever and how the Indian authorities understate the problem. This author recommends a worldwide travel advisory for India:

firstpost.com/india/why-a-travel-advisory-sh…

I am personally devastated as I so much wanted to travel to India again next year but we are not going to risk our health- how stupid would that be!

Atlanta, Georgia
Level Contributor
284 posts
81 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Dengue Fever in Northern India

Hey Houdi,

What is your source for the 1 in 6 quote. I don't believe 16.7% of tourists are returning home with dengue, so where did the 1 in 6 figure come from.

We are planning on going on a group tour in February going to Delhi, Agra, Jaipur, Udaipur, Jodphur, I think. Have paid deposit and final payment is due next month. If 1 in 6 is correct, I think we would have to cancel, so please tell me the source of this info.

Thanks

Jim

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
262 posts
67 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Dengue Fever in Northern India

Taken from the Times article:

"Twenty years ago, just one of every 50 tourists who returned from the tropics with fever was infected by dengue; now, it is one in six, said Dr. Velayudhan, the W.H.O. official....."

This certainly won't stop me from heading to India next week. Cover up and wear bug spray with Deet. If I worried about about every possible health risk, I'd never leave my apartment!

Edited: 8:56 pm, November 08, 2012
Atlanta, Georgia
Level Contributor
284 posts
81 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Dengue Fever in Northern India

Thank you Diane. Close reading reveals this is refering only to tourists that return from the tropics WITH FEVER, not all tourists. So I think not many tourists are getting dengue.

I am feeling better about this. We go in Feb., so it is winter, dry season. We go to Rajasthan which is arrid anyway. We will wear long sleeves and use deet, so I think we should be OK, not totally risk free, but acceptable.

Thanks,

Jim

Evanston, Illinois
Level Contributor
4 posts
69 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Dengue Fever in Northern India

We plan to go ahead with our trip in February. There is a risk of Dengue fever in India. There is a greater risk of a car wreck driving around the metropolitan Chicago area in winter weather, and even greater, falling on the ice walking on the sidewalks. In India, I do not doubt, we will see standing water, but in the winter in Evanston, we will confront standing snow and ice accompanied by flu and colds.

Edited: 11:05 am, November 09, 2012