We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Salaam Baalak Trust

Uk
Level Contributor
170 posts
21 reviews
Save Topic
Salaam Baalak Trust

Hi,

has anyone been on this walking tour in New Delhi? It's with ex street kids and this programme helps them.

Winnipeg, Canada
Level Contributor
6,200 posts
297 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Salaam Baalak Trust

yes, I went on this city walk 6 weeks ago. Did you have any specific questions? I highly recommend it.

Jo

Uk
Level Contributor
170 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Salaam Baalak Trust

What does it include? Is it just in New Delhi? What is the best thing to wear, obviously comfy shoes. What did you think of Delhi, any highlights?

Winnipeg, Canada
Level Contributor
6,200 posts
297 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Salaam Baalak Trust

hi again, well you all meet at the starting point and as you said your guide is the former street kid (all boys). They take you through the streets of the neighbourhood of Paharganj and to the Delhi Rail Station and explain facts about their personal background, street life and Delhi. Then they take you back to one of Salaam Balaak's homes where you get to meet some boys aged 6 to 12 and play! (the best part!) then they give you a bit more info on the history of the trust and you can ask questions.

I would wear good walking shoes and bring a camera! the boys love getting their picture taken and seeing it :)

Delhi was awesome otherwise, would you like to read my trip review?

It has everything we saw. we were in Delhi at the beginning AND the end of our trip.

tripadvisor.com/ShowTopic-g293860-i511-k5736…

hope that helps!

Jo

Uk
Level Contributor
170 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Salaam Baalak Trust

Thanks for that. You're blog is great. We have our 16 year old daughter with us too. We were told by our travel company that it would be better to give the trains a miss as we have our daughter with us.Looking forward to it but apprehensive as well. We're visiting Rajasthan for 2 weeks. We'll be on the road quite a bit but its the only way to see a lot.

Winnipeg, Canada
Level Contributor
6,200 posts
297 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Salaam Baalak Trust

why in the world give the trains a miss with a 16 yr old? that's where the real India is! my goodness, my kids loved the train, great adventure! :) are you doing a sleeper train?

Jo

Uk
Level Contributor
170 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Salaam Baalak Trust

Thats what I thought.

Hertford, United...
Level Contributor
50 posts
67 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Salaam Baalak Trust

We are doing this as part of a tour in two weeks time. The trust have asked if we would take out some things for them like toiletries & stationery. Did anyone as part of the tour get a feeling for anything that is really needed that I could take out.

Nowy Sacz, Poland
Level Contributor
4,024 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Salaam Baalak Trust

Not an entirely direct response, but from my firm's London office quite a few people go out one or twice a year to work with our team in Coimbatore, Tamil Nadu. At our office manager's reccomendation we avoid anything you could call "treats" like sweets or chocolate and instead take toothbrushes, toothpaste, soap, pens, pencils, notebooks and paper, some people even take clothes if they have room in the weight allowance - it's left to the discretion of the staff member what they take, within these guiderules we've set for ourselves. Personally, when I was in Londond I'd pop into Staples and get a load of BICs, notepads, pencils, rubbers, sharpeners and some packs of stick on stars and shapes, which the staff could "award".

Winnipeg, Canada
Level Contributor
6,200 posts
297 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Salaam Baalak Trust

just make sure if you are able to give above the suggested donation of 200 IINR per head (a crazy low sum for us foreigners!). I think being able to fund this program is very empowering. The pens and toiletries are icing on the cake!

Jo

coclare
5 posts
Save Reply
10. Re: Salaam Baalak Trust

You only walk a couple of kms, so no special gear is needed, just weather appropriate clothes and maybe a water bottle. I highly recommend the walk, it helps you understand more of how to deal with beggars - no one is Delhi is actually starving and the temples and mosques give out free meals. Much better to give a donation to them than to individuals on the street.