We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Do the Planes Run on Time?

Los Angeles
Level Contributor
78 posts
31 reviews
Save Topic
Do the Planes Run on Time?

Hello all,

How are internal Indian airlines at leaving and arriving when they say they will? What's the safety record of airlines like Spice Jet, Kingfisher, and India Jet? What do we need to know about flying within India, in terms of airport regulations, hassles, etc.?

We will be arriving on 11/28 and staying for 17 days. Our trip involves a lot of flying: from Delhi to Varanasi, from Varanasi to Khajuraho, then back to Delhi to attend a wedding, and finally from Udaipur to Delhi at the end of the trip.

We will be on an individualized tour with all transfers arranged,and I'm sure the tour operator will have answers to these questions, but I want to ask some disinterested people.

THANKS !

agra india
Destination Expert
for Agra, Jaipur, New Delhi
Level Contributor
8,387 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Do the Planes Run on Time?

Airlines you mentioned have very good safety records. Delay depends upon the weather conditions particularly in North India few days are foggy with low visibility which causes delay.

deepak

Mumbai, India
Destination Expert
for Mumbai, Katra, Maharashtra, India
Level Contributor
5,559 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Do the Planes Run on Time?

Kingfisher was having some problems a while back. However, when I was at Delhi airport just two days back, I heard announcements about their flights departing on time. So, I guess they may have sorted out their problems. I flew with Jet last week, and both flights were on time. Indigo is another airline which seems to operate flights on time. I'm not sure about SpiceJet but havent heard any bad things about them.

Safety of flying in India is as much an issue as in any part of the world. Dont fret too much about it.

Delhi airport's new terminal T3 is now up to International standards! So, no real hassles here....The other places you are visiting are smaller cities with smaller airports, so they are less swank but I dont anticipate you facing any major hassles because of that.

Enjoy your trip!

Mumbai, India
Level Contributor
588 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Do the Planes Run on Time?

90% of the times all flights will leave on time. But just as with airlines the world over there will be those odd occassions when you would face some problems. In case you happen to be caught in that...bad luck....

But generally speaking all domestic flights typically leave / arrive on time. In terms of airport regulations - be sure to travel light on your hand luggage. Many airports are strict about it and may make you open your hand bags and stuff. To save yourself the hasselll just carry light stuff in hand luggage...no sharp objects..no liquids above 100 ml...

Italy
Level Contributor
39,683 posts
235 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Do the Planes Run on Time?

We used both Spice Jet and Kingfisher and all the planes left on time, we thought kingfisher was one of the best airlines we've flown with.

Mumbai, India
Destination Expert
for Mumbai, Katra, Maharashtra, India
Level Contributor
5,559 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Do the Planes Run on Time?

Chrella,

I still consider Kingfisher to be the best airline but unfortunately it's been facing list of problems these days. It seems they have a cash crunch due to which they have incurred lots of debt. All this has resulted in cancellation, delays, etc of flights. The situation seems to be getting better but at present things are dicey for them.

Kolkata (Calcutta...
Level Contributor
66 posts
81 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Do the Planes Run on Time?

Indigo(low cost) and Jet Airways(fullfare) are two of the airlines who focus on timely departures,have best ontime departures industrywide.Kingfisher cancelled many flights on two occasions during last 3 months-facing payment issues with fuel companies.

New Delhi, India
Level Contributor
2,597 posts
206 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Do the Planes Run on Time?

all flights run on time unless there is some technical fault which might happens once or twice a year maybe with each airlines and they are absolutely safe and have very highly qualified trained professionals flying them

the biggest players in the domestic industry are

Jet airways

Kingfisher airlines

Air India

Indigo

Spice Jet

Go air

Wollongong...
Level Contributor
26 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Do the Planes Run on Time?

What airline goes from Khajuraho to Varanasi? Are they safe?

9. Re: Do the Planes Run on Time?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 6:19 am, December 16, 2013