We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Northern India itinerary help - 16 days

Vinovo, Italy
4 posts
Save Topic
Northern India itinerary help - 16 days

Hi,

I will spend my winter holidays in Northern India. I will travel alone, and this is roughly what I would like to do:

26/12 - Flight Torino - Delhi / Arrival in Delhi at 23:05 / Night in Delhi

27/12 - drive from Delhi to Ranthambore National Park (8h), if possible with a quick visit of Jaipur / Night in Ranthambore National Park

28/12 - Ranthambore National Park / Night in Ranthambore National Park

29/12 - drive from Ranthambore National Park to Udaipur (9h, via Bundi, Chittor), if possible with a quick visit of Bundi / Night in Udaipur

30/12 - drive from Udaipur to Jodhpur (6h) with visit at Ranakpur / Night in Jodhpur

31/12 - Jodhpur / Night in Jodhpur

01/01 - drive from Jodhpur to Jaisalmer / Night in Jaisalmer

02/01 - Jaisalmer / night train Jaisalmer - Delhi

03/01 - drive Delhi - Agra, with stops at Sikandra, Fatehpur Sikri / Night in Agra

04/01 - morning visit to Taj Mahal, drive from Agra to Orchha (5h) / Night in Orchha

05/01 - morning visit of Orchha / drive from Orchha to Khajuraho / Night in Khajuraho

06/01 - Khajuraho / Night in Khajuraho

07/01 - flight Khajuraho to Varanasi / Varanasi / night in Varanasi

08/01 - Varanasi

09/01 - Varanasi + flight to Delhi / Night in Delhi

10/01 - visit Delhi + transfer to airport in the night

Of course I would rent a car + driver for the first part (until Jaisalmer), and one for the second part (from Delhi to Khajuraho). In case the program is too full, I could skip Udaipur, still maintaing the visit to Ranakpur.

Any comment would be very useful to me!

Thanks in advance!

Gurugram (Gurgaon...
Destination Expert
for New Delhi, National Capital Territory of Delhi, Punjab, Haryana, Dalhousie, India
Level Contributor
2,174 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Northern India itinerary help - 16 days

Briefly Fratello why would anybody skip Udaipur!,

skip overnight at Orcha instead

n u gotta be into the spiritual thing to enjoy Varanasi,

in which case its brilliant

eg Ganga unfortunately at that stretch is xteremly dirty

anyways u'll probably enjoy Rishikesh on the Himalayan foothills n with bonus of rafting more

so be sure

Cheers

Gurugram (Gurgaon...
Destination Expert
for New Delhi, National Capital Territory of Delhi, Punjab, Haryana, Dalhousie, India
Level Contributor
2,174 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Northern India itinerary help - 16 days

in my experience even Haridwar better option than Varanasi

Copenhagen, Denmark
Level Contributor
786 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Northern India itinerary help - 16 days

Love your itinerary - it's a bit different than most, and you use different means of transportation well. Especially love that you are taking time out for more than one day at Varanasi and Jodhpur - two of my favourite places ever.

As mentioned by another poster, Udaipur is nice too - but having to choose, I think you've made interesting choices. Haridwar? I haven't been there, so have no opinion as such, but being further north, i think it would fit your route badly.

Hunbille

Gurugram (Gurgaon...
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
2,174 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Northern India itinerary help - 16 days

Sorry about rafting, wasn’t think ‘bout your dates

N Haridwar fits just right in, as from Delhi 5 hrs by express train n around 6 hrs by road, former much better

N the weather here is perfect (for westerners) in Dec

N the rituals here r outta world, inc the evening Aarti Prayers on the Ghats, river banks, esply at the main Ghat, Har ki Pauri

with hundreds of diyas, the works

unique, better than anything at Varanasi

n in Haridwar one loves the concentration of temples, religion, sprinkled with open spirituality, n its coexistence with a beautiful, still young, sparkling, gushing river amidst open, sprawling nature

in Varanasi I got depressed seeing the gutter that humans have made this part of Mother Ganga into

as also how some of the poor are still forced to just push their dead into the river

as can’t afford cremation

that said, Varanasi is full of wonderful, diverse experiences

5. Re: Northern India itinerary help - 16 days

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:17 am, April 14, 2010