We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Arriving into DEL at 10:30pm, flight to BOM next day at 6:50

California
4 posts
Save Topic
Arriving into DEL at 10:30pm, flight to BOM next day at 6:50

First time I am transiting through DEL, so I need some advise from the experts.

I am arriving on an international flight to DEL at 8:30pm and have a connecting flight next morning at 6:50am on Jet. I have a few questions:

1) The last Jet flight to BOM leaves at 10:30pm. Is there a chance I can make that flight, ie, is 2 hours enough to clear customs, immigration, travel to domestic airport and change my tickets to the night flight ? The airline will not book me in the late night flight since according to their manuals DEL airport takes 150 mins to transit from intl to domestic airport. Fyi, I am traveling business class.

2) How do I travel between international and domestic airports ? Is it walking distance, or, do I take a bus ? Is the bus running on internal airport roads like the bus in BOM, or, does it actually go out into the city ?

3) Once I clear immigration/customs, is there a Jet counter that I can give my bags to for onward journey to BOM, or, do I have to keep my suitcases with me in the lounge or hotel ?

4) If I wind up doing the ~11 hour layover, is the business lounge good enough or should I get a hotel ? If we get a hotel, I would like to get a 4 star or better and something that is close to the airport. Any suggestions ? I checked Radisson, but that seems far from the airport and it appears like they do not offer shuttle service.

Thanks for your help and advise.

Mumbai, India
Destination Expert
for Mumbai, Katra, Maharashtra, India
Level Contributor
5,540 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Arriving into DEL at 10:30pm, flight to BOM next day at 6:50

Taking a 10.30 pm flt after landing at 8.30 pm isn;t very feasinle, it's cutting it too close....

For answers to some of your other questions, do look at this thread:http://www.tripadvisor.in/ShowTopic-g304551-i3482-k2976514-Business_Class_Lounge_in_the_Indira_Gandhi_Delhi_Airport-New_Delhi_National_Capital_Territory_of_Delhi.html

Hope this helps....

Mumbai, India
Destination Expert
for Mumbai, Katra, Maharashtra, India
Level Contributor
5,540 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Arriving into DEL at 10:30pm, flight to BOM next day at 6:50

The link didn't go thro..so posting it again...

tripadvisor.in/ShowTopic-g304551-i3482-k2976…

New Delhi, India
Destination Expert
for New Delhi, India
Level Contributor
7,635 posts
107 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Arriving into DEL at 10:30pm, flight to BOM next day at 6:50

"is 2 hours enough to clear customs, immigration, travel to domestic airport and change my tickets to the night flight ?"

In opinion It will be very very tight ! Keep your original plan.

"How do I travel between international and domestic airports"

There is a shuttle bus service by Airport, else private taxies.

"Once I clear immigration/customs, is there a Jet counter that I can give my bags to for onward journey to BOM"

Yes ! There is a jet counter and you may ask for their help ! It's a good airline and they should be able to help you out.

"If I wind up doing the ~11 hour layover, is the business lounge good enough or should I get a hotel"

Getting a hotel will be better ! Radisson is not far, in fact it's just opposite the airport entrane.

However, you may checkout Taj or Maurya also which are also nearby.

There are some good B&Bs also.

California
4 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Arriving into DEL at 10:30pm, flight to BOM next day at 6:50

Thanks for your response. I reviewed the link you have suggested, but I could not find answers about the Jet bag checkin, the transport between domestic and international airports. It also did not suggest any 4* hotels besides Radisson. Appreciate if you can shed some light on these topics too.

California
4 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Arriving into DEL at 10:30pm, flight to BOM next day at 6:50

Thanks K_Yogi -

Should I take a shuttle to the Radisson, or, is it across the street from the airport ? By Taj, are you referring to the Taj Palace Hotel - isn't that near the City center ?

New Delhi, India
Destination Expert
for New Delhi, India
Level Contributor
7,635 posts
107 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Arriving into DEL at 10:30pm, flight to BOM next day at 6:50

You should take a Taxi or Auto to Radisson, or you may ask them for an airport pickup.

Taj Palace is at Diplomatic Enclave which is quite near to the airport. There is another Taj known as Taj Mahal, which is in city centre near the India Gate.

Mumbai, India
Destination Expert
for Mumbai, New Delhi, Kochi (Cochin), Chennai (Madras), India
Level Contributor
12,672 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Arriving into DEL at 10:30pm, flight to BOM next day at 6:50

Several airlines arrive in Delhi international airport around the same time as your flight. It is a busy time of the night. At this time, we typically notice that it takes about 45 minutes to clear immigration and customs and come out of the airport. Business class travellers are able to come out a little earlier, but not always, because the baggage carousels sometimes don't have priority bags first. So anyway, assuming you come out at 9:15 p.m., you should be able to get to a hotel and checked in by 10:00 p.m.

For your next morning flight, you have to report at the domestic terminal. If the flight is at 6:50, reporting will be at 5:50 a.m. (for business and economy class). That means checking out at 5:30 a.m. So that means about 6 hours rest.

What is the budget you have? There's a place called The Estate, which gets good reviews, they are about 15-20 minutes from the airport. It's run by a lady with warmth and personal flair.

There are 5-star hotels close by - the Taj Palace on Sardar Patel Road and the ITC Maurya Sheraton. I've stayed at the Sheraton but not the Taj Palace, but both are excellent if expensive hotels.

There is also the Trident at Gurgaon, reasonably close to the airport.

Mumbai, India
Destination Expert
for Mumbai, New Delhi, Kochi (Cochin), Chennai (Madras), India
Level Contributor
12,672 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Arriving into DEL at 10:30pm, flight to BOM next day at 6:50

I do not believe Jet will accept your bags for a flight the next morning, I think you need to take them with you.

Another place you could consider is Shanti Home in Janakpuri.

Here are the links to The Estate and Shanti Home:

http://www.theestatebnb.com/

http://www.shantihome.com/index-4.html

Both these places will arrange vehicles to pick you up from the airport, and will drop you back.

- Deepa

New Delhi, India
Destination Expert
for New Delhi, India
Level Contributor
7,635 posts
107 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Arriving into DEL at 10:30pm, flight to BOM next day at 6:50

If you want to have a look at B&Bs, here is a very good one http://www.newdelhibedandbreakfast.com

It's excellently run by Ms. Renu and is very close to the Airport at a Posh localiy of Vasant Kunj.

It's a highly praised B&B of New Delhi.

But My advice is you go for Radisson, you won't get 4 star comfort and feel in a B&B.

California
4 posts
Save Reply
10. Re: Arriving into DEL at 10:30pm, flight to BOM next day at 6:50

Deepa and K_Yogi - thanks for your responses.

I am still hopeful that I can make the 10:30pm connection with Jet. If I get out at 9:15pm from immi/customs with my luggage, how long will it take me to get to the domestic airport ? Is there a transfer bus run by the airport or Jet (Like at BOM airport) ?

If I cannot get the night connection with Jet, I will stay at Taj Palace, Radisson or Maurya based on price/availability. I have stayed at the Taj Palace in the past, it was quite good.

Thanks again...