We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Concevient accomodation for 2 days

Montreal, Canada
Level Contributor
2,162 posts
183 reviews
Save Topic
Concevient accomodation for 2 days

Hello,

I have almost 2 days in Delhi (Mid December) and I am looking for a relaxing accomodate to shake off the jet Lag and do some sight seing. Just the Must Do's.

Usually I try to go with hotels with character. I read in Frommer good reviews about The Manor, Oberoi Maidens and Amarya Gardens. I also noticed the Shanti here.

Amarya looks like the type of place I like to go to, or the Manor. However I want a place that is not too difficult to reach. And that at least some restaurants around, not to have to travel for half an hour for dinner (jet lagged and all). Safety area is obviously a concern

Any recommendation? Could as well be something else. Would love a more central hotel as well

Thanks

New Delhi, India
Destination Expert
for New Delhi, India
Level Contributor
7,635 posts
107 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Concevient accomodation for 2 days

Yo may checkout Lutyens Bungalow guest house at Prithviraj Road. Their email is nath @ lutyensbungalow.co.in.

It's central, has a lot of character.....

Restaurants are little away, but you'll love the place....

New Delhi, India
Destination Expert
for New Delhi, India
Level Contributor
7,635 posts
107 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Concevient accomodation for 2 days

You may checkout Lutyens Bungalow guest house at Prithviraj Road. Their email is nath @ lutyensbungalow.co.in.

It's central, has a lot of character.....

Restaurants are little away, but you'll love the place....

Montreal, Canada
Level Contributor
2,162 posts
183 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Concevient accomodation for 2 days

Thank you for the advice. I looked at all options and I am hesitating between Oberoi Maidens and Amarya Gardens. What would ne the pick and how convenient is the location in both cases?

Also open to other options

Thx

Montreal, Canada
Level Contributor
2,162 posts
183 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Concevient accomodation for 2 days

I have looked at different options and it down to the following.

In the Guesthouse Category:

- Amarya Garden

- B19

Some prefernce for the former based on the reviews: all positive for Gardens and some (mainly) noise mentions for B19 (Train station). B19 is 2000 INR cheaper.

Which one would you recommend?

If I decide to splurge to ease transitioning in, and go for one of the top hotels, I understand that the Imperial is unmatched. Aside from it, I also have on my list, probably in my prefered order:

- Oberoi

- ITC

- Shangari La

- Taj Mahal H

All things being equal, which one would you recommend? Location has its importance too. I am working with the assumption that these big hotels are more conveniently located as the two Guesthouses

New Delhi, India
Destination Expert
for New Delhi, India
Level Contributor
7,635 posts
107 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Concevient accomodation for 2 days

I'll say Oberoi !

Mumbai (Bombay...
Destination Expert
for Mumbai (Bombay), New Delhi, Kochi (Cochin), Chennai (Madras), India
Level Contributor
12,613 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Concevient accomodation for 2 days

If you are a woman travelling alone, then as far as B&B's go, I would recommend Thikana any day. Atul and Sheetal's unique brand of warmth and style, the friendly atmosphere at the breakfast table, or in the evenings over drinks...all of these are hard to come by. If you are going there, let me know and I will tell Atul you're my tripadvisor pal and to ply you with wine :D My husband and I stayed there two nights, and we didn't want to leave.

Sightseeing in Delhi is so spread out that the best way to do it is by car. So keep a car at disposal, and you can use it if you want to dine out.

As far as the big hotels go - yes, Imperial for character. But Oberoi, Taj are also good, so is the Maurya. When a hotel in Delhi charges you $400 for a night or more, it does deliver luxury.

Montreal, Canada
Level Contributor
2,162 posts
183 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Concevient accomodation for 2 days

I am not a woman, and I am traveling with a friend, but I still found Thikana very interesting. Not to mention the Value!

I guess it's still a recommendation over B19? Any specific rooms you would recommend? They all look different...

Mumbai (Bombay...
Destination Expert
for Mumbai (Bombay), New Delhi, Kochi (Cochin), Chennai (Madras), India
Level Contributor
12,613 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Concevient accomodation for 2 days

Oh dear, after ALL these many many replies to the posts, I should have known !! I was sending you big hugs in previous posts as well, assuming you were female. Ah well, the hugs remain firmly in place, all the same!

I examined the rooms in Thikana. I saw no major point that stood out as "best room" and "worst room", they all seemed well decorated and well maintained...personally my preference is for the first floor and not the second floor because I am a lazy bum and don't want to climb stairs.

This is a B&B, Atul and Sheetal live on the ground floor with their two lovely children. Two floors of rooms above that, plus there is a terrace with seating.

- Deepa

Montreal, Canada
Level Contributor
2,162 posts
183 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Concevient accomodation for 2 days

LOL - Funny d insightful anas usual Deepa.

And I knew I should have changed that picture of mine a while ago:)

New Delhi, India
Level Contributor
770 posts
Save Reply
10. Re: Concevient accomodation for 2 days

spartac B-19's location wins hands down over all he B&Bs. Its like 20 steps away from Humanyun's tomb (the rooftop offers splendid views) and the lush green neighbourhood is dotted with lesser known monuments which can all be explored by foot. I spent an entire half day recently just walking around the area and discovered such lovely little peacful retreats in terms of tombs, birding sites and hidden gardens.

On the downside there are too many restaurants that you can walk to, although there are some that you reach by a short auto ride. If that be a concern I would advise you to pick the Amarya Garden in the vicinity of the Defence colony market - you will spolit for choice of food here! Its also somewhat in between the big attractions of South Delhi (Humanyun's tomb, Lotus temple and Qutab Minar) and those of Central Delhi (India Gate, Rashtrapati Bhawan etc.). You will ofcourse need a car for na entire day to take you around these plcaes. Old Delhi is further north and is best done by metro in my opinion.

The choice between staying at a B&B and a five star is really a more personal one. You do recognize that the budget shoots up by nearly 3 times when you opt for the hotels right?