We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Buying those Wooden boxes with hand painted ceramic drawers?

Which New Delhi hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Sydney
Level Contributor
62 posts
Save Topic
Buying those Wooden boxes with hand painted ceramic drawers?

Hello again!

I wondered if anyone can tell me how readily available those lovely little wooden boxes with the hand painted colourful ceramic drawers are in and around India? I think in India they are referred to as "indian spice drawers" but i would use them for jewellry etc etc, i've seen them here in Oz but they are expensive.

Also, what is the shopping like in Delhi, what sort of stuff (western) can i expect to see/find/buy? Sorry for the boring shopping questions but i LOVE shopping so want to make the most of my shopping time in delhi! (PS..don't tell my BF! haha)

Thanks guys

agra
5 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Buying those Wooden boxes with hand painted ceramic drawers?

Hi,

As per you view i would rather suggest you to get some boxes of white marble inlaid with semipresious stones. The same art present on the TajMahel that is still alive and practised in Agra.

If you are intrested i can mail you some photographes along with complete details.

Thank you.

New Delhi
Level Contributor
78 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Buying those Wooden boxes with hand painted ceramic drawers?

Delhi is a treasure trove for shoppers. From the antiques to their replicas, it's all available in Delhi markets.

For buying arts and crafts, you may visit State Emporias at the Baba Kharak Singh Marg in Connaught Place or Dilli Haat, where you get a cornucopia of handicrafts. For Western clothes you may head to South Extension.

The most orgainsed shopping area in the heart of the city is the Connaught Place (CP), this complex is made up of three concentric circles of colonnaded arcades. The most popular of the radial roads leading off from Connaught Place is Janpath, a treasure trove for bargain hunters of clothes. At Baba Kharak Singh Marg will find a row of State Handicraft Emporias.

Other up-market shopping areas are South Extension, Sarojini Nagar, INA Market, Greater Kailash Part- I, Vasant Vihar, Khan Market and Sunder Nagar Market

On the left of the Race Course road, is Santushti (meaning relief), the ideal shopping venue to the ethnic art lover created by the Air Force Wives Welfare Association.

Opposite the INA market at Laxmi Bai Nagar, Delhi Tourism runs an open air handicraft market, Dilli Haat, in which craftsmen are invited from every state to sell their products directly.

Inside the walled city there are some of the oldest market places of Delhi that are fascinating the people for centuries. Chandni Chowk (moonlight square) is still famous for its silver jewellery, precious and semi precious stones, garments and accessories. A journey inside the narrow streets of Chandni Chowk will surely take you to the Mughal era.

Towards west Delhi the most versatile markets are Karol Bagh and Rajouri Garden which are a striking mix of upmarket as well as flea markets and are quite crowded.

Delhi is a place that never fails to amaze...

New Delhi, India
Level Contributor
770 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Buying those Wooden boxes with hand painted ceramic drawers?

You should be able to the decorated drawers in Dilli Haat, Janpath or the Cottage Emporium.

Delhi's really a shopper's delight from the dirt-cheap to the everything-the-price-of-gold-dust! We have local bazaars that specialize in different wares - from Indian wedding attires, to textiles, to bags and crockery, to lights and fixtures, furniture to paper cards - and even if you weren't buying, its worth browsing through these purely for visual pleasure. You will find a lot of shops selling western clothes in these markets as well, although the silhouettes and fabrics are likely to be different and adapted to Indian sensibilities.

At the other end of the spectrum there are umpteen malls showcasing both Indian and western brands that follow contemporary fashion lines. Clothes apart the market for international accessories, make-up, furnishings and what-have-you is extremely buoyant. The acceptability of foreign/western stuff extends most palpably to the changing food preferences, and those with disposable incomes are experimenting with different palettes.

Then again we may like the more authentic experiences at upscale restaurants, but find eating the fusionized street versions – the ‘Chinese Chaat’, ‘Gobi (cauliflower Manchurian’, ‘Jain pizza’, ‘Carrot sushi’ and ‘Vegetable hot dog’ – anyday more fun! Our social calendars are happily peppered with western festivals – Christmas in particular is widely celebrated – we ofcourse replace the turkey with butter chicken/macher jhol! Western dresses sit quite pretty with traditional favorites in the Indian wedding trousseaus, although the resplendent saree/salwar kameez remains the undisputed (and expected choice) at formal family dinners.

Its Same Same but Different!

New Delhi, India
Level Contributor
770 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Buying those Wooden boxes with hand painted ceramic drawers?

Maya that's a fantastic round-up of shopping in Delhi. I suppose the only few omissions from my absolute-must list would be Lajpat Nagar for all things colorful, Khan market for lovely souvenirs and Hauz Khas for all things antique.

I am not a fan of the big malls but if I had to recommend one it would have to be the Select City Walk in Saket. From a design perspective its well laid out, the retail experience is great and I love the buzz about the place without being noisily boisterous. And oh it has my favourite sin shop - the Passion Cheese!

New Delhi
Level Contributor
78 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Buying those Wooden boxes with hand painted ceramic drawers?

Dilli_Billi !

Thanks for adding to the list, yes ! Hauz Khas is all about heritage things, be it antiques or Ethnic wear. However, somehow I do not like Lajpat Nagar. Central Market has degraded a lot ! and parking which is a problem in All of Delhi, feels very acute here. However, it is has it's faithfuls.

Holland
Level Contributor
3,056 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Buying those Wooden boxes with hand painted ceramic drawers?

The Government Emporium of Janpath is a wonderful place to browse what's on offer around India.

The shops stretching down from the Connaught Place down Janpath also offer a load of cheap stuff like this.

New Delhi, India
Destination Expert
for New Delhi, India
Level Contributor
7,607 posts
104 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Buying those Wooden boxes with hand painted ceramic drawers?

For such wooden boxes Janpath as suggested by Cyberhippie is perfect ! Emporiums sell same items at inflated prices. Originally such inlaid boxes come from Moradabad, Agra and Jaipur, hence if you are visiting any of these places, you may get them cheaper there.

Sydney
Level Contributor
62 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: Buying those Wooden boxes with hand painted ceramic drawers?

hi guys thanks so much for your fantastic responses...i think i might spend a few more days in delhi to shop it up! haha

i found these boxes and so thought you might like to see the picture of what i'm talking about, click here.. …ebay.com.au/…

Holland
Level Contributor
3,056 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Buying those Wooden boxes with hand painted ceramic drawers?

Well don't forget the matching door knobs, (really they sell them too)

USA
Level Contributor
30 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Buying those Wooden boxes with hand painted ceramic drawers?

Good review of shopping in Delhi . . . you will never run out of markets and shops to browse . .

Want to add SUNDER NAGAR to the list . . .. a good place to look for the wooden boxes you show in the eBay listing . .plus they have lots and lots of "antique" (using the term loosely) things from furniture, to table top goodies, to jewelry . . and a huge collection of ceramic drawer pulls

Fab India a good place to shop for Indian clothing, along with bedspreads, table cloths, furniture etc. Several locations, but my favorite is N Block (or is it M block???!!!) five separate Fab India stores around alittle square . .. and some addl shops have sprung up there . . ATM, coffee etc Fab India has a smaller shop at Khan Market which is another excelent and manageable shopping market . . . with some great places to eat lunch . . .

Have fun! And, bring an extra suitcase for your treasures.