We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

New Delhi Tour in September

Which New Delhi hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Bhubaneswar
7 posts
Save Topic
New Delhi Tour in September

Hi All,

I will be travelling delhi in september second half(after 25th). I want to know if the delhi metro covers the tourist places, i mean will it be posiible to walk to places like birla mandir/ humayun's tomb/ qutub minar/ india gate/ lotus temple/ akshardham temple from any nearby metro station?If yes, can anyone please give the names of the corresponding stations and approx. time to reach the tourist spot?Actually i want to explore the places, so will need some time, that's why i am a bit reluctant to take up the govt. tours(Delhi Darshan).

Thanks you all.

New Delhi, India
Level Contributor
770 posts
Save Reply
11. Re: New Delhi Tour in September

There are 4 kinds of DTC buses on the Delhi roads - the regular greens and yellow ones and the Blue line buses are to be avoided completely - they are way too crowded and are infamous for flouting traffic rules, not to mention the "accidental brush-ups" thta women travellers often face.

The green color low-floor buses, and the red color A/C low floor buses are generally much safer and less congested. These however ply on very limited routes. I hopped onto one of these on a lazy Sunday last year and was pleasantly surprised by both the comfort and the courtesy of the staff in the bus.

But much as I am a supporter and frequent user of public transport, I wouldn't advice relying on local DTC buses for sightseeing in Delhi. Their timing is always suspect and the DTC site has proved to be unhelpful in providing the specific routes for the low-floor buses. This may change next year however by which time the DTC pans to add 5000 such buses to its fleet.

I would say stick to the metro for doing Central, North and East Delhi. Hire an auto to do the attractions in the south.

No experience with the Delhi sightseeing tour run by DTc but plan to avail it one of these free dys - will post my review soon.

New Delhi
Level Contributor
78 posts
Save Reply
12. Re: New Delhi Tour in September

Out of the places mentioned by you only India Gate and Akshardham Temple are connected by Metro.

For India Gate, you may go upto Central Secretariat and then take a walk from there.

For Akshradham you may travel upto newly opened Yamuna Bank Station. Akshardham temple is a little walk from here. The Station is on the right end of the Yamuna bridge when coming from Rajiv Chowk Station, whereas Akshradham is on the left end of the bridge.

for other places taking an Auto or taxi will be your best bet !

13. Re: New Delhi Tour in September

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

TripAdvisor staff removed this post because it did not meet TripAdvisor's forum guideline limiting each user to a single forums screen name.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 2:55 pm, June 03, 2009
14. Re: New Delhi Tour in September

TripAdvisor staff removed this post because it did not meet TripAdvisor's forum guideline limiting each user to a single forums screen name.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 2:32 pm, June 03, 2009
15. Re: New Delhi Tour in September

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

Removed on: 1:47 am, December 01, 2009