We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Is it safe to drink coffee or tea?

Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
7 posts
23 reviews
Is it safe to drink coffee or tea?

I've already been warned to be cautious of eating any fresh vegetables / salads or fruits that have been already peeled. Can someone tell me if it is safe to drink tea from a restaurant or hotel. It would be a shame to be in India and not drink the tea...

Kolkata (Calcutta...
Destination Expert
for Kolkata (Calcutta), Darjeeling, India
Level Contributor
8,855 posts
24 reviews
1. Re: Is it safe to drink coffee or tea?

The water for the tea is boiled and hence generally free from impurities. I don't think you will have a problem as long as you stick to restaurants with basic hygiene standards. So many foreigners drink tea/coffee in India, many of them from roadside stalls. They seem to be fine with it.

Jaipur, India
Level Contributor
463 posts
120 reviews
2. Re: Is it safe to drink coffee or tea?

Hi,

There is never problem to drink tea or coffe.

Tea is already very good boiled so don't wory about it.

Wishes.

Raju India.

New Delhi, India
Level Contributor
7,635 posts
108 reviews
3. Re: Is it safe to drink coffee or tea?

No problem ! As others have already started. Tea is prepared from boiled water and Coffee from boiled milk, hence no problem......

Holland
Level Contributor
3,056 posts
2 reviews
4. Re: Is it safe to drink coffee or tea?

One thing, roadside stall often have quite dirty glasses, so this can be a source of infection. Beware.

Kolkata (Calcutta...
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
8,855 posts
24 reviews
5. Re: Is it safe to drink coffee or tea?

That's why I suggested to stick to places with a minimum hygiene standard, CH.

You know how to go about it, but a newcomer wouldn't. :)

INDIA
Level Contributor
91 posts
6. Re: Is it safe to drink coffee or tea?

hello clemmy,

Always take tea and coffe or any consuming item from branded restaurant ,samll mistake can spoil your tours. Its better to purchase readymade tea and coffee bags boiled water easily available anywhere.

New Delhi, India
Level Contributor
7,635 posts
108 reviews
7. Re: Is it safe to drink coffee or tea?

If you keep searching for branded restaurants (whatever that may mean) you won't be able to have tea/coffee in most of the cities/towns.

If you think hygiene is an issue, you may ask the chai/coffe wallah to rinse his glasses/cups with hot water or you may ask for disposable glasses.

New Delhi, India
Level Contributor
7,635 posts
108 reviews
8. Re: Is it safe to drink coffee or tea?

Making your own tea/coffee on the go, will be very very difficult, tea bags/coffee powder pouches and single use sachets of Creamer are available and you may carry them but I am yet to see any shops selling boiled water ? And if you can get it, then you need cups/glasses and spoons too.

Not a practical advice !

Kolkata (Calcutta...
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
8,855 posts
24 reviews
9. Re: Is it safe to drink coffee or tea?

Have to agree here with KY. Do try to be careful where you can, but its ridiculous to start carrying your own tea/coffee equipment around. This issue is really being stretched beyond its importance. Its not as bad as that, really.

Nowy Sacz, Poland
Level Contributor
4,025 posts
42 reviews
10. Re: Is it safe to drink coffee or tea?

to reinforce the advice - tea and coffee should be ok. in hotel, cups etc will be ok. on the road you can ask the seller to rinse the cups out for you before serving nut often the stalls, eg airports, stations, will have disposable cups - that DO get disposed of, not recycled!