We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

replic Day 2009

Irvine, United...
Level Contributor
205 posts
13 reviews
Save Topic
replic Day 2009

I've discovered that I will be in Delhi for Republic Day on 26 Jan which is a Monday this year.

I will only be in delho for 2 days (arriving sunday 6am, departin Tuesday 6am) and so want to squeeze what i can in.

I know there are public events on for republic day but can't find any info on when/where and whether tickets are required. Can anyone help?

Also are more of the tourist things open on Republic Day than would normally be the case for a Monday.... or less?

Many thanks.

Irvine, United...
Level Contributor
205 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: replic Day 2009

bump in the hope people can help!!

New Delhi, India
Level Contributor
771 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: replic Day 2009

From what I know all the monuments in South Delhi - Humanyun's tomb/Qutab Minar/Lotus temple etc. are open on 26 January. Red fort, Old Delhi and Central Delhi are cordoned off for the parade nad VIp movement.

If you are putting up in South/West you can access the monuments. If however you are based in Central Delhi you will have to wait untill about 1 pm to start moving around. Markets and food joints generally open by 4 pm.

For attending the grand parade that takes place at Rajpath, the tickets/passses are made available to public only about 3 weeks in advance.

Irvine, United...
Level Contributor
205 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: replic Day 2009

Thanks for replying.

Its good to know that things are open - even with it being a Monday. We're staying in Pahar Ganj so yeah centre. So I guess we take our time on Mon morning uness we have tockets for the parade.

Can I get these tickets online?Becasue we'd only have one day to get thm when in Delhi.

New Delhi, India
Level Contributor
771 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: replic Day 2009

Last year tickets were not up for sale untill about a week ago before the parade. The venues are advertised in the local newspapers - maybe you can ask your hotel or tour operator to arrange these for you.

BTW security is very tight on this day. From what I remember you need to start queing up from about 6 am and except your basic wallet and ID proof no other articles are permitted.

Irvine, United...
Level Contributor
205 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: replic Day 2009

so no cameras and so on?

Is that in the particularly in VIP /paid tickets area? Can we see stuff and still carry our normal things in the non VIP / ticketed areas?

Thanks!

Irvine, United...
Level Contributor
205 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: replic Day 2009

bumping to see if anyone has further news!

Irvine, United...
Level Contributor
205 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: replic Day 2009

I ahve been told I may be abel to buy tickets the Pragati Maidan, gate number 1 or 9, but you may have to ask there after reaching near the Pragati Maidan gate, may try the gate# 1 first.

Pragati Maidan gate number 1 is located near to Delhi Zoo, side road and gate no 9 is near to Supreme court of India.

Is this correct?

And does anyone have any opther news or links they could give me?

Thanks!

8. Re: replic Day 2009

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 2:20 pm, October 14, 2009