We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Arriving NDLS without hotel reservations

Which New Delhi hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Savannah, Georgia
Level Contributor
472 posts
21 reviews
Save Topic
Arriving NDLS without hotel reservations

My daughter (15) and I are taking an overnight train from Mumbai to NDLS, arriving something like 10:30 in the morning Friday (19 September), and returning the following Wednesday.

We're looking for a place to stay with A/C, reasonably clean, near NDLS/Connaught, and inexpensive. I don't hang around inside hotels; it would be a base for exploring, including a trip to Agra.

I've never been to India but I'd be perfectly OK with any of the hostels and one/two-star hotels I've stayed at in Europe.

Using the various Web reservation systems seems like a complete gamble -- there's very little in the way of user reviews on most of the inexpensive options. And when I do find reviews, half of them seem to be written by the proprietors. Seriously.

My experience traveling has been that there are always lots of options that don't show up on the Internet.

So ... would it be crazy to arrive Friday morning without reservations, and go looking at hotels in the area?

Mumbai (Bombay...
Destination Expert
for Mumbai (Bombay), New Delhi, Kochi (Cochin), Chennai (Madras), India
Level Contributor
12,156 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Arriving NDLS without hotel reservations

The last thing I would want to do is traipse around the city with a 15 year old girl in tow examining budget accomodation.

I have a 15-year old daughter myself, I am not paranoid, but this is Delhi, it got a reputation for being tough for women.

- Deepa

New Delhi, India
Level Contributor
770 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Arriving NDLS without hotel reservations

Agree with Deepa on that.

You could look up the Ginger hotel <http://www.gingerhotels.com/delhi/hotel_profile.aspx> just outside the New Delhi Railway Station. Its likely to be a little noisy, but if a comfortable bed to crash into is all you need, this is a good bet. Besides you could use the metro connection to explore Old Delhi, Akshardham and Central Delhi.

Gurugram (Gurgaon...
Level Contributor
342 posts
47 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Arriving NDLS without hotel reservations

Yes Ginger is the best option to stay near New Delhi Station, or you can get good options in Karol Bagh ( 3 Kms from New Delhi station )

4. Re: Arriving NDLS without hotel reservations

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 8:17 pm, October 09, 2009