We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Booking trains in India

Cincinnati, Ohio
Level Contributor
132 posts
4 reviews
Save Topic
Booking trains in India

My family of four will be arriving from Dar es Salaam in October into New Delhi. Over the next three weeks we will be traveling from Delhi to Pathankot ( for a trip to McLeodganj ), Pathankot to Delhi, then Delhi to Jaipur, Jaipur to Agra, and finally Agra to Delhi.

I have heard you need to book in advance in order to secure your seats on these trains. But we won't get into Delhi until 48 hrs before we have to get on the Jammu Mail to Pathankot. I also can't determine if we can book with an e-ticket, like US airlines.

Should I :

1) Get an education on Indian trains , with the risk of missing as train, or getting stuck on an overnight train on a car that would cause our backs to go out after one trip or

2) Hire an Indian travel agent. We don't know of any so we would have to TRUST the one we get. Any suggestions for a reputable agent.

Thank you in advance for your reply.

Marty ( gmanrtw )

Kolkata (Calcutta...
Destination Expert
for Kolkata (Calcutta), Darjeeling, India
Level Contributor
8,374 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Booking trains in India

Hi,

You can book an e-ticket, no problem.

http://irctc.co.in

RatnaPrasad has an Inside page on Indian Railways which will give you all the education you ever need. Just take a look at the Inside pages for India.

Just doing a search on trains will find up a relevant post not so far back on the same subject as yours.

Hyderabad, India
Destination Expert
for Hyderabad
Level Contributor
3,478 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Booking trains in India

Created for members like you.

tripadvisor.com/Travel-g293860-c63603/India:…

3. Re: Booking trains in India

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

TripAdvisor staff removed this post either because the author requested it, or because it did not meet TripAdvisor's forum guidelines.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 2:03 am, December 24, 2007
4. Re: Booking trains in India

TripAdvisor staff removed this post because it did not meet TripAdvisor's forum posting guidelines with prohibiting self-promotional advertising or solicitation.

We ask all of our members to keep their forum messages free of self-promoting advertisements or solicitation of any kind - members affiliated with any tourism-related business should not include commercial contact information or URLs in their forum messages.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 9:08 am, January 14, 2008
Kolkata (Calcutta...
Destination Expert
for Kolkata (Calcutta), Darjeeling, India
Level Contributor
8,374 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Booking trains in India

Dear Sanjoy_Biswas,

You have not quite read the part in the TA Forum Guidelines about no solicitation here, have you ? Or do you think they don't apply to you ?

tripadvisor.com/help/what_are_the_guidelines…

6. Re: Booking trains in India

TripAdvisor staff removed this post because it did not meet TripAdvisor's forum posting guidelines with prohibiting self-promotional advertising or solicitation.

We ask all of our members to keep their forum messages free of self-promoting advertisements or solicitation of any kind - members affiliated with any tourism-related business should not include commercial contact information or URLs in their forum messages.

Removed on: 10:32 am, January 15, 2008
Mumbai (Bombay...
Destination Expert
for Mumbai (Bombay), New Delhi, Kochi (Cochin), Chennai (Madras), India
Level Contributor
12,355 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Booking trains in India

Get an education, not just about Indian trains but also India itself, and Indian travel agents! Perhaps the "TRUST" will come with more familiarity!

New Delhi
Level Contributor
28 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: Booking trains in India

The best way to go about it is the indian railways website.

www.irctc.co.in

Incase you are confused on navigating on the website please leave apost here or pm me and I will help you out with all the ticketing steps.

Please do book in advance otherwise the tiks will run out.

Cheers

Sahil

UK
Level Contributor
123 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Booking trains in India

I went to the website www.irctc.co.in

They do not seem to accept payment by Mastercard or Visa from UK. Only Indian Banks are listed. Am I missing something?

Hyderabad, India
Destination Expert
for Hyderabad
Level Contributor
3,478 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Booking trains in India

The site does accept International Credit Cards, however the site displays multiple Payment Gateways using Citi Bank, ICICI Bank & HDFC Bank but i did observe the options keep changing and out of the three one of them does accept. Just read carefully when the Payment Gateway options are displayed it should clearly mention the type of cards of cards accepted.