We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

tipping, money exchange

boston
Level Contributor
42 posts
9 reviews
Save Topic
tipping, money exchange

we are travelling to radjstan with a 2 day delhi layover. we have a driver with us for 7 days. what is the tipping protocole? how much, how often?

also, where is the best place to exchange money and can we use us dollars in the stores like in many other places and markes i've been to/

thank you!

Kolkata (Calcutta...
Destination Expert
for Kolkata (Calcutta), Darjeeling, India
Level Contributor
8,393 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: tipping, money exchange

If its a 7 day tour, I would tip the driver about Rs 500 if he provided good service right throughout. Thats about $ 12. Its just indicative. You can also go by about Rs 100 per day.

Change money at authorized money changers and banks, you will get the best rates. You cannot pay in shops in USD. Some shops might accept, but its not the norm.

boston
Level Contributor
42 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: tipping, money exchange

thank you!

Miami
Level Contributor
20 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: tipping, money exchange

EVERYONE wants a tip. And they will hang around until you give them one. You can give then 10 or 20 rs (about USD 25 and 50 cents) to hotel porters, etc. and they seem quite happy with that. Avoid the bother and take lots of Rs 10's and 20's because everyone wants a tip and its a cheap way to get rid of them out of your room, etc.

Big stores will take credit, as well as hotels. Some places will take US dollars, which are more fungible than Euros. Change money at the airport -- its the best rates. There are Thomas Cooks and Citibank ATM's in Delhi. The hotel you are staying (depending on size and class) will likely have a money exchange too, but often only does it for guests.

Mumbai (Bombay...
Destination Expert
for Mumbai (Bombay), New Delhi, Kochi (Cochin), Chennai (Madras), India
Level Contributor
12,473 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: tipping, money exchange

Tipping varies from person to person.

On the Mumbai tours that we run, my guests tip the drivers between 100 and 200 rupees per day. In Rajasthan, your driver will be with you 24 X 7, so I'd say at the very least 200 per day.

- Deepa

5. Re: tipping, money exchange

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 7:15 pm, September 14, 2009