We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

? about domestic flights

Boca Raton, Florida
Level Contributor
90 posts
3 reviews
? about domestic flights

I am traveling to India from the U.S.

I will be landing in Delhi and while in India I will be flying to Varansi, Agra, Udaipur, Mumbai and the town closest to the Ellora and Ajanta caves.

One travel agent said that for domestic flights people have to get to the airport 2.5 hours ahead of time.

In the U.S. I regularly flight out of the airports in Miami, Chicago, EWR, Dulles, LGA and PBI.

The travel agent said that the airports in the cities I mentioned above are as big as those in Miami and the other U.S. cities.

He said that because of the size of the airports and how long it takes to check bags, if people are not at a domestic flight at least 2.5 hours ahead of time they will not make the domestic flight.

Is this true? When I flew internationally to Berlin, from Munich as from Paris I showed up around 2.5 hours ahead of time and am quite surprised to hear that domestic flights in India require people to show up 2.5 hours ahead of time.

How early would people show up if they were flying domestic flights to the locations I mentioned?

21 replies to this topic
Agra, India
Level Contributor
1,260 posts
15 reviews
1. Re: ? about domestic flights

Airports at Delhi and Mumbai are big ones whereas Varanasi and Udaipur are not that big. Agra don't have an airport.

For Domestic flights people have to report around couple of hours earlier and for international flights around 3 hours before flight time.

Regards

Walks By Arif

Kurseong, India
Level Contributor
218 posts
53 reviews
2. Re: ? about domestic flights

Hi,

Check in in all airports in India for domestic flights starts 2 hours before and ends 45 minutes (60 minutes for Domestic leg of International flight) before departure of the flight. Counters for flights (both Domestic and International) operating from International Terminal close 60 minutes before departure of flight.

You can check with any airline sites. However, its always advisable to reach to the airport quite ahead of time to avoid any last minutes hassle.

Muzaffarpur, India
Destination Expert
for Sikkim, Manali, New Delhi, Darjeeling, Bihar, Katra, Udaipur, Patna, India, Gangtok, Varanasi, Amritsar
Level Contributor
21,082 posts
394 reviews
3. Re: ? about domestic flights

Other than Delhi and Bombay,all other airports are quite small.Normaly check in counter (if not done web checking) starts 2 hr before schedule departure and closes 45 minute before departure,gate closes 25 minute before.Its certainly not that if I dont arrive 2 and half hour before flight then going to miss the flight.All domestic flights are mostly Boieng 737 or Airbus 320 means carrying around 180 passengers so even if 3 check-in counters are operating its good.Sometimes you may have to face little inconvenience (with long queue) during security but in worst case if someone did check in at last moment and not much time remains to gate closes and there is long queue at security,we request security personal showing boarding time of flight,they normaly help to pass early bypassing the queue.Also we have to consider traffic on route to airport,time of flight etc and also should have some buffer time for any last minute surprise.We normaly try to reach 2 hr(to one and half hr) before departure.

Edited: 12:52 am, August 28, 2018
India
Destination Expert
for Mumbai, India
Level Contributor
5,589 posts
8 reviews
4. Re: ? about domestic flights

It is alright to reach airport even 1 hour before departure in the smaller airports. However, Mumbai and Delhi airports have huge crowds especially during peak hours (early morning and evenings). The newer terminals in Mumbai and Delhi are still manageable if you reach about 75 minutes before departure. However I would never take a chance with Terminal 1 at Mumbai or Delhi. At least 90 minutes before departure is better.

Boca Raton, Florida
Level Contributor
90 posts
3 reviews
5. Re: ? about domestic flights

Walks by Arif,

When you say that Agra doesn't have an airport, do you mean that it is so small that it doesn't seem like a real airport?

I have found three airlines that list direct flights to Agra from Varansai.

Here is an article about the airport. It has domestic flights.

https:/…Agra_Civil_Enclave

Mumbai, India
Level Contributor
835 posts
6. Re: ? about domestic flights

There is only 1 flight by Airindia from Varanasi to Agra. And not a daily service at that. And in case of cancellation you will be stuck.

Agra, India
Level Contributor
1,260 posts
15 reviews
7. Re: ? about domestic flights

Agra is not a fully operational civil airport. It is basically military airbase and allow civil airplanes to operate. There was a Agra - Jaipur flight but they cancelled it. They were suppose to start Agra - Delhi flight. There is this Agra - Khajuraho - Varanasi - New Delhi flight but at time they keep on suspending it as well.

Regards

Dallas, Texas
Level Contributor
62 posts
5 reviews
8. Re: ? about domestic flights

I only know about Delhi airport. Get there as you would if you were taking a US international flight. I traveled from Delhi to Chennai and it took longer than I expected. I arrived at the gate only 15 minutes before boarding. I'm a "Hurry up and wait" person so that time frame made me anxious.

Mumbai, India
Level Contributor
835 posts
9. Re: ? about domestic flights

#7 Military airbase is no reason. Chandigarh was similar but was a regular airport till the new one came. Flights have started to Adampur (Jalandhar), an airbase again. Agra probably being so close to Delhi does not generate enough traffic for more airlines to show interest.

Agra, India
Level Contributor
1,260 posts
15 reviews
10. Re: ? about domestic flights

Only God knows the actual reason about Agra airport.

Agra is having almost 2 million people, how much flyers are required to have profitable flights?

Regards

Reply to: ? about domestic flights
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted