We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Need to go through immigration for Intl transfer?

Orlando, Florida
Level Contributor
2,968 posts
133 reviews
Need to go through immigration for Intl transfer?

Hello. I am traveling from Nepal back to USA through Delhi airport. Will I need to go through immigration or can Ijust transfer. These are for 2 separate tickets on 2 separate 2 different airlibes. I had planned returning to India for a few hours however changed my mind.

TThank you

India
Destination Expert
for Mumbai, India
Level Contributor
5,882 posts
8 reviews
1. Re: Need to go through immigration for Intl transfer?

If you do NOT have check-in baggage that needs to be transferred, you can just go through the Transit hall. If you do have check-in baggage then you should check with the airline whether the bags will be transferred directly. If they will not do so, then you will need to clear Immigrations to collect your bags, for which a visa is required.

There have been instances at Delhi airport of some airline staff helping transit passengers without a visa to collect their bags, but this is not a regular feature. So check with the airline and plan accordingly.

Abu Dhabi, United...
Level Contributor
416 posts
46 reviews
2. Re: Need to go through immigration for Intl transfer?

Good advise by MG10101

I also did a quick check on Transit visa rules and found this link , depending upon the time you have before you travel you may want to explore this option as well just to be on the safe side if your airline does not forward the bags to the next airline .

The link is 4 year old ( maybe other members might be able to guide you more on transit visa option)

https://boi.gov.in/content/transit-visa

Edited: 5:19 am, January 09, 2018
3. Re: Need to go through immigration for Intl transfer?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:17 am, January 11, 2019