We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Isla Bastimentos - Trip Report September 2011

London, United...
Level Contributor
46 posts
50 reviews
Save Topic
Isla Bastimentos - Trip Report September 2011

I recently stayed on the Island and thought I should share my experience. I loved this place, after 7 months of travelling through South America up to Panama it is probably my favourite place so far. I found Bocas Town too touristy and very Americanised so headed to Bastimentos. It was a completely different vibe really chilled out and with a very Caribbean and local flavour. There are no roads or cars on the Island and the only way to get around is to walk or get a water taxi. There are some nice walks to nearby Wizard Beach and Red Frog Beach which are both stunning. You can stop at a lovely Organic Coffee shop called the Shop Up In The Hill on the way to the beach and enjoy a great coffee in a really tranquil setting. I stayed at Beverlys Hill Guest House which I would certainly recommend. Simon the owner and his family were really welcoming and friendly and the cabin was nice and clean in a beautiful garden. I did my advanced diving course with Scuba ¨6 (located at Tio Tom´s Guest House) and again these guys were great and the diving was good. the only place I really ate out was at Roots Restaurant where the food was good value and tasty. Try the local Bocas Hot Pepper sauce, like a jerk sauce and highly addictive. The whole vibe of the Island is completely chilled so if that´s what your looking for give it a go. I can´t recommend this Island highly enough.

Isla Bastimentos
Level Contributor
421 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Isla Bastimentos - Trip Report September 2011

Wow....what a great review

Chicago, Illinois
Level Contributor
1,508 posts
116 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Isla Bastimentos - Trip Report September 2011

Thanks for your report!! you had no problem walking out to Wizard's beach? Got any favorite stories from your trip??!

London, United...
Level Contributor
46 posts
50 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Isla Bastimentos - Trip Report September 2011

No I didn´t have any problems walking there, although I was advised not to take any valuables with me so would advise others the same. Bit sad that apparently there have been some robberies but I had no problems at all and wouldn´t let it put me off. Just be cautious as with every where else in South/Central America.

Lots of stories from my 7 months in South America so far wouldn´t know where to start to be honest.

4. Re: Isla Bastimentos - Trip Report September 2011

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 8:15 am, October 24, 2012
Get answers to your questions about Isla Bastimentos