We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

isla solarte La Casa Blanca

stonington ct
Level Contributor
120 posts
101 reviews
Save Topic
isla solarte La Casa Blanca

someone recommended we look at La Casa Blanca on Isla Solarte. It is a private home and looks lovely, sleeps up to 8 people if needed... eco-friendly... and a short boat ride to Bocas town. Has anyone stayed there? Can anyone tell us anything about it? we would go in Feb or March for 3 weeks. thanks dp

Victoria Texas
Level Contributor
392 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: isla solarte La Casa Blanca

We've reserved La Casa Blanca for a week in mid October. First trip to Bocas (or Panama for that matter) for us, so I can't really tell you anything tangible other than the owner is really responsive to questions. I'll certainly try to post a review online when we return to the states in late October, but I'm sure that's a little late for your planning purposes. Sorry I can't tell you more.

joe

stonington ct
Level Contributor
120 posts
101 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: isla solarte La Casa Blanca

Hi Joe,

actually, with the economy and looking at available dates on the owners calendar--mostly empty!! I think we CAN wait awhile before we decide to book. so please go ahead an post a review and hopefully you will let us ask YOU some questions upon your return? thanks for your help deb

Michigan
Level Contributor
6 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: isla solarte La Casa Blanca

We would appreciate any comments re your stay at La Casa Blanca! Thank you, Donna

Bocas del Toro
Level Contributor
316 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: isla solarte La Casa Blanca

If you want to stay put, any of the places that are more remote are fine. If you want to get around, it does get expensive, because of high costs associated with boat transport. Many reviews comment on this if your transport is not included. Also, there are no beach on Solarte. There is a small one by Hospital Point, but there is no public dock to get there. I guess from Casa Blanca you could walk there, but if the owners of the property where the little beach is are there, it may (or not) be awkward. It is their front yard! Whether this is the place for you depends on what you want out of your trip. Finally, your travel dates will also have a lot to do with your experience - if you come during the rainy season, the "short boat drives" to Isla Colon will become less than pleasant, and unless you want to hunker down, since you would be renting a private home, sooner or later you would need to travel to Isla Colon. the good part is that short of being in Carenero, it is the closest of anything you can rent, as far as proximity to Bocas Town from another island. I will defer to Ole Joe who went there this last October though . Joe??

Victoria Texas
Level Contributor
392 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: isla solarte La Casa Blanca

We loved it. It is a water taxi ride for (usually) $2 per person each way if you wanna go to Bocas or Carenero (I think it was $3 or $4/person to go to Red Frog Beach). That's the down side (though the landlord provides a cell phone that has several water taxis programmed into it and you can call for a taxi and have it there in under 15 minutes....at the end of your own dock).

Upside.....incredibly quite, very nice house, maintenance guy/gardener is right next door. There's no cars on Solarte so you can get lulled into no car sounds. We had IPOD and our lil speakers so we had tunz and there is a DVD player/TV if you just need sound (we never used it). Two bedrooms with ceiling fans and floor fans and then there's like 4 beds up on the loft (and two couches that probably fold out....it was just the two of us, so we never figgered that out). Nice kitchen and we kept the fridge stocked so we dined in several meals. The wraparound front/side verandah on the second floor (main living area) is amazing. A book, a beer, and that view....I miss it.

There is no beach, proper, on Solarte but ther little cove next to Hospital Point is very easy access, you do cross private property, but the trail/path is not limitted and we actually traded paperbacks with the people that were living on the point....also used their internet to check email. Hospital Point cove (small beach....very beautiful and tres private except when the snorkeling boats come (seemed like 1 or 2 a day but it was a bit rainy when we were there).

I dove 5 of the 7 days we were here and any of the dive shops can pick you up at the dock and drop you off after, so you don't have to pay for water taxi and it's very convenient.

La Casa Blanca was a little isolated, a lot lovely, a way lot quiet. I'd stay there again in about a millisecond.

Feel free to PM me if you got more questions.

Sorry bout no review but work is driving me nuts....maybe after the holidays

joe

Michigan
Level Contributor
6 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: isla solarte La Casa Blanca

Many thanks for the update...we are really looking forward to our stay!

Donna

7. Re: isla solarte La Casa Blanca

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 1:17 am, June 15, 2010
Get answers to your questions about Isla Bastimentos