We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Places to stay on Isla Bastimentos

New York, NY
2 posts
Save Topic
Places to stay on Isla Bastimentos

My girlfriend and I just returned from ten days in Panama, and I wanted to offer feedback on some of the places we stayed in Bocas del Toro. We stayed on Isla Bastimentos, a beautiful island. The first place we stayed was La Loma, The Jungle Lodge. The owners, Henry and Margaret, had just opened, and they were amazing. The lodges are beautiful and the view is beyond description. Margaret is a fantastic cook and Henry is a great source of knowledge of the wildlife, flora, and fauna of Isla Bastimentos and Bocas in general. He also knows quite a bit about the Ngobe Indians of the island. He arranged a personal tour of a incredible salt creek. I could not recommend La Loma more highly.

The second place we stayed was Al Natural. Again, our stay here was great. Vincent is a great chef and the dinners were outstanding. We had great late-night conversations with Vincent and the other guests. The cabins look out over the beach and there is good snorkeling right off the pier (you have to look around a bit to find it).

I would recommend Isla Bastimentos over the hotels in Bocas Town. I think there are some great places to stay there, but we were not that impressed with the town itself.

Florida
Level Contributor
19 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Places to stay on Isla Bastimentos

Thanks for the information on La Loma. My wife and I have reservations for November. I made reservations a couple of months ago before La Loma had opened. I was slightly concerned, but Henry kept us informed and sent pictures as the lodge was being built. The new photos on the web look great, and I think we are going to stay an extra night. Any other information about La Loma would be appreciated. Any photos? Thanks.

new jersey
Level Contributor
6 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Places to stay on Isla Bastimentos

hi, we are a family of six..4 children including teens....we are deciding which of the 2 places you stayed in panama...al natural or la loma to stay for a week or so....i thought maybe your wonderful vacation to both, could help us decide....we love remote places and feeling one with nature. thanks.

new jersey
Level Contributor
6 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Places to stay on Isla Bastimentos

hi, we are a family of six..4 children including teens....we are deciding which of the 2 places you stayed in panama...al natural or la loma to stay for a week or so....i thought maybe your wonderful vacation to both, could help us decide....we love remote places and feeling one with nature. thanks.

Sacramento...
4 posts
1 review
Save Reply
4. Re: Places to stay on Isla Bastimentos

I would also highly recommend La Loma, the Jungle Lodge on Isla Bastimentos. Last November my fiance and I stayed for 5 nights in one of the open air "ranchos" and it was fantastic. There was a small stream with waterfalls nearby that provided cool water pools to soak in by day and soothing night music to fall asleep to after dark. The meals were all fantastic with many of the ingredients coming directly from La Loma's gardens. Henry and Margaret are gracious hosts and the staff was very friendly. We enjoyed the experience thoroughly and not only would recommend it but we plan to go back ourselves, as soon as possible.

Houston, TX
Level Contributor
1 post
2 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Places to stay on Isla Bastimentos

My wife and i have been staying on Bastimentos at a new resort called Tranquilo Bay. The cabanas are really nice and comfy, ie. clean and air conditioned. There is one large main cabin that is for reception, dining, and recreation.. The food is wonderful..

It faces the Zapatilla Islands, and is near the Crawl Key area that are both great areas for snokeling and water sports.. The neat thing about Tranquilo Bay is you are not restricted to just snorkeling.. You can go white water kayak and hike up in the mountains, surf, fish, hike, bird watch, and other Jungle/Ocean adventure activities.

You can reach them at www.tranquilobay.com

Get answers to your questions about Isla Bastimentos