We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Cash on Bocas ?

Savannah, Georgia
Level Contributor
13 posts
7 reviews
Save Topic
Cash on Bocas ?

One week in PC toward end of Jan (Magnolias in Casco) then one week in Bocas (at Cocos on the Sea Inn)! Getting excited! Just a couple weeks we'll be there!

My question is the cash vs Credit ...should I get a bunch of cash before I leave PC? My CCards charge a 2% fee for out of USA use. I am not certain that Cocos has a safe to stash extra money and I'd be wary carrying a wad of cash, or leaving it if no safe. Is there a secure place to obtain cash in increments on the island and is a debit card recommended?

Thanks in advance! LadyDi

Long Island, New...
Level Contributor
344 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Cash on Bocas ?

We had cash and were glad that we did. A woman that we met was leaving because she ran out of cash and the ATM was empty.. I'm not sure if this was something that happens a lot or because it was during the New Year holiday.

bocas del toro...
Level Contributor
82 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Cash on Bocas ?

In the past, Cocomo-on-the-Sea did not have safes - ask them- but there is the bank ATMs (they can run out on busy weekends), but you can also get cash at the local grocery stores (for a fee) using your credit card.

Savannah, Georgia
Level Contributor
13 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Cash on Bocas ?

Thanks both for the info...some reason my email does not alert I have replies? Sorry! I had read that some ATMs were "compromised" and money stolen or triple charged. Not sure where I read that? Cocomo's has no safe>?...well, just have to have a little cash, and cards I suppose, then and be careful about not leaving anything there except clothes. ;-) A bit of a PIA but whatever...was just wary about island ATMS. I live on an island and won't touch the ATM here....hahaha! Way too "risky".

Central America
Level Contributor
1,928 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Cash on Bocas ?

Have used the ATMs (only 2, right next to each other) many times on Bocas with no issues (other then them running out of money).

Morehead City...
Level Contributor
8 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Cash on Bocas ?

The ATMs do run out but we lived there 3months with a debit card only problem was forgetting password.credit cards work at groceries.have good time

6. Re: Cash on Bocas ?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 2:41 am, January 24, 2015