We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Swimming in Bocas Town

canada
Level Contributor
15 posts
14 reviews
Save Topic
Swimming in Bocas Town

Hi there,

We're coming to Bocas Town next week with two teenagers who will likely spend hours in the water. Just reading Open Road's Best of Panama which says that "all of the bars, restaurants and other businesses fronting the water pipe their waste from toilets into the seemingly inviting sea ... and hotels have water slides and other water toys to facilitate this." Is this true and is it safe to swim there or should swimming be done further away from town? Any suggestions of where to swim safely would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

Panama
Level Contributor
111 posts
135 reviews
Save Reply
11. Re: Swimming in Bocas Town

Just pass the first bridge to Bluff Beach, shortly after Playa Tortuga you will find a lovely beach for lap swimming, shallow, no rocks. Usually you will see someone walking their dog and the water should be very clean.

Panama
Level Contributor
111 posts
135 reviews
Save Reply
12. Re: Swimming in Bocas Town

Couple of follow ups:

Red Frog has surf signs warning swimmers of the heavy rip tide when there is surf. Swimmers beware no matter what level you can swim.

Starfish beach does have bothersome prickles poking through the exposed sand along the water. You can walk along a trail above the water or If you walk knee high in the shallow water front of the coastline, you should not have any problems with walking, nor prickley experiences. We hope you enjoyed your swim in Bocas del Toro!

Monteverde Cloud...
Level Contributor
3 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
13. Re: Swimming in Bocas Town

There were no signs warning of any riptides on red frog beach!!!! I would avoid that beach all together,,,, since this man died I have done research and have read about numerous deaths and near death experiences on this beach..... I am traumatized by this experience and even had to go to the hospital for a panic attack........PLEASE don't go to this beach!!!

Isla Bastimentos
Level Contributor
421 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
14. Re: Swimming in Bocas Town

I live at and run a small resort on Isla Bastimentos, the Island on which Red Frog Beach lies. Many, if not all of my guests go to, and swim at Red Frog Beach and none of my guests have had any swimming problems there, other than just a few small riptides. There have been a few isolated accidents there over the years but that can be said of any open ocean beach. Thousands of people go there every year with no problems, so to say "don't go there" is a little out of line.

Edited: 5:55 pm, October 11, 2011
Monteverde Cloud...
Level Contributor
3 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
15. Re: Swimming in Bocas Town

Sorry but when you see someone drown you can tell me what to say....IMO there are better beaches.....

Chicago, Illinois
Level Contributor
1,511 posts
116 reviews
Save Reply
16. Re: Swimming in Bocas Town

Wold, is the calm beach you describe that is on Bluff Beach called "La Piscina" and/or does it have nice snorkeling?

Sharjah, United...
Level Contributor
22 posts
140 reviews
Save Reply
17. Re: Swimming in Bocas Town

As said above, do not swim anywhere near the town.It is an open sewer. As for Red frog, if you leave anything alone on the beach, it will be stolen. In fact, in Bocas, anywhere, anything left unattended will be stolen.petty theft is an industry in that town and the surrounding islands.

Edmonton, Canada
Level Contributor
15 posts
156 reviews
Save Reply
18. Re: Swimming in Bocas Town

Any comments on Bluff Beach for swim/snorkel?

For Starfish beach, do the pointy things go through the aqua shoes?

Thx

19. Re: Swimming in Bocas Town

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 5:18 am, March 09, 2013