We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Visiting Bocas with children

Fremont, California
Level Contributor
6 posts
9 reviews
Save Topic
Visiting Bocas with children

We are flying to Panama for a week during Christmas and would like to make Bocas our base. I am looking for a house for 8 people that is close to a sandy beach and also easy to get to and from. We would like to visit other places in Panama like get to the city and may be visit Boquete. Is this doable?

Thanks in advance for your advise.

San Francisco
Level Contributor
124 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Visiting Bocas with children

We had to scramble to get a house rental for the same time period. I got the sense that things were going quickly. It will require diligence. Good luck!

Atlanta
Destination Expert
for Jaco, Bocas Town
Level Contributor
3,964 posts
128 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Visiting Bocas with children

Also keep in mind that you will be on an island. If you are near Bocas Town, this is where you will catch the ferry. Do you only have 1 week total? How are you getting to Bocas? Have you looked at drive and fly times and options on getting to Bocas? I don't see how you can see all of those places in 7 days with making Bocas your home base. I think you have more research to do.

Are you looking for a place for 2010 Christmas? You may be to late.

Bocas del Toro
Level Contributor
316 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Visiting Bocas with children

The only way you can do this is working your way from Panama City by road (bus or rental) stopping along the way in Boquette and then driving to Bocas. You will be able to spend a few days in each place. If money is no issue. You can fly to David from PC and then fly from David to Bocas. Bocas being at the opposite end of PC and very isolated is not a good place from which to go back and forth. Another option is to fly to Bocas, spend a few days here, and then work your way back by road, or fly to David and then back to PC. You are also traveling during the most busy time of the year, for the entire country, so I would pick your lodging place quickly, Soon, everything will be booked.

Bluff Beach Retreat is right across the street from beautiful Bluff Beach and can accommodate 8 people and more but I am sure they are already booked. Your other options (but they are not houses) in that area are Playa Bluff Lodge, Tesoro Escondido and La Coralina. All are highly rated on Trip Advisor. On Bastimentos you can also rent villas in the red frog resort compound. None of the places that are on a beautiful sandy beach are easy to get to and from. In other words they are away from Bocas town. Staying on Isla Colon (Bluff Beach) would be the easiest as far as going back and forth, since you can go by road, but you will waste a lot of time. My advice is stay put for 2 or 3 days in Bocas, the same in Boquette, and then the rest of the time will be traveling between these places. Trying to go back and forth with such a large group during that time of year could end up being very difficult and frustrating for you.

Isla Colon, Panama
Level Contributor
255 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Visiting Bocas with children

If you want to visit Boquete, Panama City and Bocas, and you only have 7 days, and you're traveling with kids, the only way I would recommend doing this would be by plane.

Spend the nights you arrive and leave the country in Panama City.

Spend the rest, half and half in Bocas and Boquete.

If it's during the Christmas week, your talking about Panama's best destinations... I think it's going to be very difficult to secure the best lodging options, but buena suerte!

@panamajoules

5. Re: Visiting Bocas with children

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:17 am, May 29, 2011