We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

How to get to Sigiriya

Munich
1 post
1 review
Save Topic
How to get to Sigiriya

Hi, I plan to be in Negombo for a few days next week, and I would like to have an excursion to visit Sigiriya. Please could you advise me what is the best way to get there? Shall I take a taxi from Negombo or is there any reliable public transport? Would you know if there is any bus excursion company for a kind of one-day trip based in Colombo maybe? Thanks a lot!

Colombo, Sri Lanka
Destination Expert
for Sri Lanka
Level Contributor
61,365 posts
218 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: How to get to Sigiriya

Hi there,

It's at least 4 hours one way (car, make it 6 hours with transfer by public transport) and you need to start the climb before 10:30 to avoid the midday heat. So I'd say

* Don't do as a day trip (overnight trip, with climb at 3:30 PM or next morning) is better.

* But if you really want, only with car and only when leaving Negombo at 06:30 AM

Negombo does have excursion companies which try to pool passengers for these kinds of trips, and then arrange a minivan for them. More chance there than in Colombo.

Regards,

<Erik> & [Sandya]

2. Re: How to get to Sigiriya

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

TripAdvisor staff removed this post because it did not meet TripAdvisor's forum posting guidelines with prohibiting self-promotional advertising or solicitation.

We ask all of our members to keep their forum messages free of self-promoting advertisements or solicitation of any kind - members affiliated with any tourism-related business should not include commercial contact information or URLs in their forum messages.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 9:27 am, October 26, 2009
3. Re: How to get to Sigiriya

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 1:17 am, April 21, 2010