We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Midnight travel fr Colombo Airport to Pinnewala possible?

Which Pinnawala hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Kuala Lumpur...
3 posts
Save Topic
Midnight travel fr Colombo Airport to Pinnewala possible?

Hi,

My boyfriend and I will be arriving at Colombo Airport at midnight and plan to travel directly to pinnewala and check in to the hotel before joinin the feeding and bathing of the elephants the next morning. Will we be able to get a taxi fr the airport to pinnewala past midnight? Will the cost be much more? How long does it take? Is it safe to travel so far in the middle of the nite by car (road safety)?

Will appreciate experienced input.

Many thanks!

Regards,

Su

9 replies to this topic
Colombo, Sri Lanka
Destination Expert
for Sri Lanka
Level Contributor
52,064 posts
176 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Midnight travel fr Colombo Airport to Pinnewala possible?

Hi Su,

No problem. The area is not at risk of wild jumbos (unlike e.g. the Triangle), and airport taxis have no nighttime surcharge. Due to unlit and windy roads it'll still take 2-2.5 hours just as by day.

All the best,

<Erik> & [Sandya]

Fredericia, Denmark
Level Contributor
37,532 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Midnight travel fr Colombo Airport to Pinnewala possible?

Yes, should not be a problem. The tours and taxi counters at the airport are open 24/7 and the charges are the same day and night. The ride should take approx. 2 hours. And costs should be approx. LKR 5,500.

Hans

Kuala Lumpur...
3 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Midnight travel fr Colombo Airport to Pinnewala possible?

Hi guys,

Thank you so much for the information.

I am planning a 9 days trip to sri lanka and so far have planned itinerary to include pinnawela-dambulla-sirigiya-polannaruwa-kandy-unawatuna. Do you think it's too much or is it possible?

any nice tea plantation that I can visit as a daytrip from kandy? Is there a direct train from polannaruwa to kandy or is it easier to arrange for a car?

Thanks!

Colombo, Sri Lanka
Destination Expert
for Sri Lanka
Level Contributor
52,064 posts
176 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Midnight travel fr Colombo Airport to Pinnewala possible?

Hi Angelia,

A bit full but yes doable. Esp. Kandy-U'tuna, a 6 hour ride, can be a bit longish.

Good tea plantations can be found within 90 mins of Kandy, e.g. along the Eliya road. No trains Triangle to Kandy, sorry...

All the best,

<Erik> & [Sandya]

Fredericia, Denmark
Level Contributor
37,532 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Midnight travel fr Colombo Airport to Pinnewala possible?

There are no direct trains from Polonnaruwa to Kandy (you have to backtrack via Polgahawela), but you can take a bus if you don't have too much/big luggage.

Hans

Kuala Lumpur...
3 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Midnight travel fr Colombo Airport to Pinnewala possible?

Thank you for all the helpful information.

One last question! I've been reading and lookin thru all the pictures of the beaches in sri lanka... Am a huge fan of pristine white sandy beaches... Are the beaches in the east or the south that have gorgeous white sand? Unawatuna/tangalla or the nilaveli beaches? and from wat i've read, for travellin on 14th-17th nov to the beaches, probably less chance of rain in the south? And amongst the beaches in the south, which is highly recommended for sun soakin and some snorkellin?

Fredericia, Denmark
Level Contributor
37,532 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Midnight travel fr Colombo Airport to Pinnewala possible?

You will not be able to snorkel on the south coast in November. The seas will be too rough.

The south coast is usually more dry than the west and the east coasts in November.

Hans

Kuwait
Level Contributor
41 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Midnight travel fr Colombo Airport to Pinnewala possible?

Hello!

How much should I currently expect a taxi to Pinnawala? We will be arriving 24th December at 6 am.

Thanks in advance

Level Contributor
1,048 posts
43 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Midnight travel fr Colombo Airport to Pinnewala possible?

Hi Melankaya

Expect to pay around Rs: 6000-7000 for drop/one way or Rs: 8000 for round trip.

Good luck

Reply to: Midnight travel fr Colombo Airport to Pinnewala possible?
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted