We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

millenium elephant foundation

Which Pinnawala hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Nottingham, United...
4 posts
Save Topic
millenium elephant foundation

Hi,

we are lookin to do pinnawala and the millenium elephant foundation in the same day , how long does it take to get from one to the other?

how much is it to get into the millenium elephant foundation?

Thankyou.

4 replies to this topic
Fredericia, Denmark
Level Contributor
37,532 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: millenium elephant foundation

They are 5-10 mins apart.

Entrance to Millennium Elephant Foundation including 15 mins elephant ride was LKR 2,000 last week.

Hans

London, United...
Level Contributor
60 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: millenium elephant foundation

Which one is the better?

Fredericia, Denmark
Level Contributor
37,532 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: millenium elephant foundation

Pinnawala Elephant Orphanage is very touristy, but have approx. 80 elephants which IMHO is an amazing sight when they are bathing in the river. You can't have rides there and have to pay extra to bottle feed the elephants.

Millennium Elephant Foundation only has about 10 elephants, but you can bathe and interact with the elephants (don't forget a towel and a change of clothes).

Hans

Los Angeles
Level Contributor
325 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: millenium elephant foundation

I personally prefer the Millenium Foundation to the Orphanage. I have always enjoyed the Millenium, and my last visit was last year, when I brought in several teenagers from the US. They absolutely loved it - bathing, scrubbing, and riding the elephants...all you cannot do at the orphanage. They also enjoyed visiting the "Elephant Poo" paper factory on the premises, which produces staionery.

Something I dislike at the Orphanage is that the mahouts demand money for photographs taken with the elephants. When we visited the Milenium, we tipped the mahouts beacuse we had an enjoyable time, and most importantly for making the visit special.

There were also allegations a few years back that the orphanage would bring in baby elephants from the wild when they found their baby population dwindling. Last year, the newspaper reported that some mahouts were fired when an elephant died in captivity after being beaten. Once again, these are allegations.

A plus for the orphanage is that you cannot find such a large heard of elephants in captivity anywhere else. It certainly is a spectacular sight to watch them by the river.

Robbie

Reply to: millenium elephant foundation
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted