We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Bus from Colombo Airport to Kandy - info needed

Which Kandy hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Berlin, Germany
Level Contributor
108 posts
Save Topic
Bus from Colombo Airport to Kandy - info needed

Dear All

I will be landing at approx. 5 am at Colombo International airport.

I would like to take a bus to Kandy - I understand by reading this forum that I will first need to take bus 187 to Katunayake Bus Station and then a bus to Kandy.

I still have a few questions, though

1. where do I take bus 187 from? Is it well indicated?

2. Can I buy the ticket on the bus or do I need to buy it somewhere else? Is it one ticket (for bus 187 and to Kandy) or two separate tickets (one for bus 187 and one for the bus to Kandy)? How much does it cost?

3. Are there any buses at all so early in the morning (I expect it will be about 6 am by the time we get our luggage and pass immigration)?

4. How long does it take, approximately, from the airport to Kandy?

Thank you!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Colombo, Sri Lanka
Destination Expert
for Sri Lanka
Level Contributor
52,058 posts
176 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Bus from Colombo Airport to Kandy - info needed

Hi there,

1] Well 187 or if you find one by that time an EX03, both have bus stand as next stop. It's not particularly well indicated: exit Arrivals building and walk to far northeastern end of it (turn left upon exit). The bus is either at the end of the pavement there or at the edge of the parking lot nexdoor, there is even a small bus shelter at that edge.

2] First stretch to bus stand is free. For Katunayake to Kandy (or to Kurunegala if you'd need to wait too long for a Kandy bus) pay the conductor. Price should be something like Rs 150 for a normal bus, for AC express more (around double).

3] Well the Kandy buses should even run throughout the night, roughly 1 x per hour.

4] From Arrivals to bus stand, sadly enough with the waiting for the shuttle, upto 30 mins (walking would be quicker in some cases). Bus stand to Kandy, once the bus has hit the road, around 3 hours.

All the best,

<Erik> & [Sandya]

nurnberg
Level Contributor
11 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Bus from Colombo Airport to Kandy - info needed

hey,

i will hijack this thread

does anyone know if there is a shuttle bus to Katunayake bus stop atm?

some places it says this shuttle bus does not exist anymore...

is it walkable to the bus station from the airport?

and where is the shuttle bus stop exactly atm? if there is one

btw. i need the bus to negombo not colombo

Edited: 2:08 am, August 21, 2014
Colombo, Sri Lanka
Destination Expert
for Sri Lanka
Level Contributor
52,058 posts
176 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Bus from Colombo Airport to Kandy - info needed

Hi there,

Shuttle bus has been replaced by 187 (and EX03) buses now coming directly to terminal, and being free between terminal and bus stand. Distance is a bit over 1 km hence walking could work IF and WHEN you have very little luggage. See 1] for where to board this 'shuttle'.

All the best,

<Erik> & [Sandya]

nurnberg
Level Contributor
11 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Bus from Colombo Airport to Kandy - info needed

okay thanks!

so I guess we take the 187 bus to the bus station get off there, and find one to negombo

will see about walking, i have only 25-30 liters, packing around 5kg so it shouldnt be a problem

Edited: 8:44 am, August 21, 2014
nurnberg
Level Contributor
11 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Bus from Colombo Airport to Kandy - info needed

*bus 240 should be the correct one

sorry somehow i cant edit my last entry anymore

10 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Bus from Colombo Airport to Kandy - info needed

Thank´s good information!

How about taking a backpack (60kg) into the bus from Katunayake Bus Station to Kandy.

Would that be possible?

Colombo, Sri Lanka
Destination Expert
for Sri Lanka
Level Contributor
52,058 posts
176 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Bus from Colombo Airport to Kandy - info needed

By favor, not by right; you might get refused at all (if the bus is already almost full) or might have to pay a 2nd seat, which would still be quite cheap.

All the best,

<Erik> & [Sandy]

8. Re: Bus from Colombo Airport to Kandy - info needed

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 1:18 am, August 24, 2015