We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Restaurants in Kandy

Which Kandy hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
New York City
Level Contributor
75 posts
139 reviews
Save Topic
Restaurants in Kandy

My online research has come up with very little in terms of highly rated or good restaurants in Kandy. If anyone can make give some recommendations, particularly for local cuisine, it would be very much appreciated.

Thanks, Marc

Colombo, Sri Lanka
Destination Expert
for Sri Lanka
Level Contributor
2,323 posts
446 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Restaurants in Kandy

Hi Marc,

Plenty in Kandy and some of the restaurants may not be listed online. Highly recommend Devon for local cuisine and I'm sure you will find more when you get there.

Treshi.

Colombo, Sri Lanka
Level Contributor
4,813 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Restaurants in Kandy

Hi Marc,

I've had this guy's recommendations bookmarked for sometime. Been meaning to try them out next time I'm in Kandy

espncricinfo.com/page2/…482229.html

Coming from NYC, you probably haven't heard of him, but I'd go with the last para.

Edited: 12:42 am, October 17, 2013
Port Elizabeth
Destination Expert
for South Africa
Level Contributor
6,237 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Restaurants in Kandy

We ate at Devon (Sri Lankan 2x lunch, 1 supper), Sri Ram, the White House and had our first supper was at our guest house. None were gourmet, but all were good. We only had one bad meal in Kandy at another guest house on Saranankara Road, I think (Lonely Planet recommended, presumably not for food) on our way home from the Kandyan Dancing.

Devon's fish parathas were really good, but so were a lot of places around the country. They have a very cheap lunch. Rice and curry for 140LKR, if I remember correctly. Of course, cheap meals use the cheap rice, which is not as nice.

Sri Ram (Indian) was my husband's favourite.

The White House was interesting because it was the first time I had a combination of curry (devilled pork I think) and chinese fried rice. I thought it would be weird, but it actually worked qute well.

Colombo, Sri Lanka
Destination Expert
for Sri Lanka
Level Contributor
51,199 posts
175 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Restaurants in Kandy

Actually 'Chinese fried rice' is more traditional Lankan than you think. It has been popular amongst the Malay subcommunity, mainly south coast and Colombo slave island, as 'Nasi Goran' (Malay/Indonesian name) for centuries. And contrary to in other areas, in cooking the many Lankan communities have quite some cross-fertilisation ;-)

All the best,

[Sandya] & <Erik>

Kandy, Sri Lanka
Level Contributor
105 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Restaurants in Kandy

Best and cheapest local cuisine is the garden cafe which is at the far end of the lake. Try the chicken Kuthu .this is more an evening meal. Midland bakery across from Pizza Hut ,near queens does great egg hoppers around 4 to 5 pm and also curry .Down colombo street there is a new and very clean place called Green Cafe which looks good. Balagi dossai (wrong spelling) is very cheap and good. There are a few in town ,one also in colombo street. On the opposite corner of HSBC there is a pretty good curry place for lunch. The royal mall which is going out of town to botanical gardens does a nice lunch buffet and one of the few places to get a beer.

Sharon Inn has good reviews but not all enjoy the tourist ambiance.

Regards

Spunkywads

6. Re: Restaurants in Kandy

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post was determined to be inappropriate by the TripAdvisor community and has been removed.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

Our staff may also remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason. Thanks for being a part of the TripAdvisor travel community!

Removed on: 2:35 pm, October 19, 2013
7. Re: Restaurants in Kandy

This post was determined to be inappropriate by the TripAdvisor community and has been removed.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

Our staff may also remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason. Thanks for being a part of the TripAdvisor travel community!

Removed on: 2:35 pm, October 19, 2013
Kandy, Sri Lanka
Level Contributor
105 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Restaurants in Kandy

Sorry for the same post three times. Problem with phone

New York City
Level Contributor
75 posts
139 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Restaurants in Kandy

Thank you all for your suggestions. They are much appreciated.

Marc

10. Re: Restaurants in Kandy

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 1:21 am, October 20, 2014