We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Colombo to Kandy by A/C bus

Which Kandy hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Chennai (Madras...
Level Contributor
5 posts
6 reviews
Save Topic
Colombo to Kandy by A/C bus

Hi folks,

I'll be travelling to Colombo this September for the cricket T20 World Cup. I have got tickets for the matches in Pallekele as well. I learnt that it's about 30 mins from Kandy, which itself is about 2.5 hrs from Colombo. the Expo train from Colombo to Kandy starts too early in the morning for my liking. Hence my questions to the forum are -

(1) Are there good air conditioned coaches available from Colombo to Kandy and back? What would the cost and where can I find them in Colombo (Near Fort Station, perhaps?) and Kandy?

(2) Also, what's the normal tuk-tuk fare from Kandy to Pallekele and how much time does it take for the commute?

(3) Any recommendations for B&Bs in Colombo and Kandy in the range of USD 50 incl taxes for a double/twin room per night would be very much appreciated as well.

Thanks folks!

Prabhu

Colombo, Sri Lanka
Destination Expert
for Sri Lanka
Level Contributor
52,058 posts
176 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Colombo to Kandy by A/C bus

Hi there,

(1) Yes. Well 'good' in the sense of driving comfortably for Lankan standards; luggage space is minimal and so is leg space. They leave from Bastian Mawatha bus station, one of the main parts of Pettah bus station adjoining Fort railway station. Still about 600 m walk from Fort to the bus bay though.

In Kandy the bus station is the no. 2 worst in the country, behind Pettah, in being totally spread out and badly signposted. In my memories the Colombo AC buses leave in front of the Post Office, not in the bus station part behind Post Office and railway station - but do ask around, this changes every few years or so.

Do note that later in the morning normal express trains leave Colombo-Kandy and back, but without seat reservations...

(2) From Kandy centre and railway station area: I'd say 20-25 mins and 9-10 km. Meaning that a good tuktuk fare is Rs 350-400, but the drivers will start haggling at much much more than that.

(3) Colombo would be a challenge, due to land prices but also government policies price levels there are a bit absurd. Renuka hotel is around the closest in proximity of city centre, more price/quality in Mount Lavinia which is 30-45 mins by train (and bus but slower) from Fort.

Kandy should be easy, plenty of choice.

All the best,

<Erik> & [Sandya]

Fredericia, Denmark
Level Contributor
37,532 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Colombo to Kandy by A/C bus

The distance from Kandy City centre to Pallekele Cricket Stadium is approx. 15 km, so a tuk tuk will be minimum LKR 550-600.

Hans

Colombo, Sri Lanka
Destination Expert
for Sri Lanka
Level Contributor
52,058 posts
176 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Colombo to Kandy by A/C bus

Okay you're right, saw it building some time back (with even assistance by one of Sandya's family members ;-) and it's further on that road than I remembered. Also means that a travel time of 30 mins is quite optimistic, make it 35-40 mins on average.

Tnx,

<Erik> & [Sandya]

Chennai (Madras...
Level Contributor
5 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Colombo to Kandy by A/C bus

Thanks a bunch Erik/Sandya ahd Hans for your valuable inputs. I didn't know there were mid morning trains to Kandy, will look that up. Cheers!

Prabhu

Edited: 11:06 am, April 09, 2012
Colombo, Sri Lanka
Level Contributor
13 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Colombo to Kandy by A/C bus

Hi !

At least it will take a one hour to get to the Cricket Stadium on a day where you get a Cricket match at Pallekelle.

Cheers.

Dinesh.

6. Re: Colombo to Kandy by A/C bus

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post was determined to be inappropriate by the TripAdvisor community and has been removed.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

Our staff may also remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason. Thanks for being a part of the TripAdvisor travel community!

Removed on: 12:35 pm, April 16, 2012
Level Contributor
20 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Colombo to Kandy by A/C bus

A few questions :

1) How much would it cost by Taxi from Colombo to Kandy or vice-versa

2) Is it safe to do this journey in the night?

3) How long does it take by taxi?

Colombo, Sri Lanka
Destination Expert
for Sri Lanka
Level Contributor
52,058 posts
176 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Colombo to Kandy by A/C bus

Hi there,

1] Around Rs 9,000

2] Yes no problem, no animal dangers (unlike in a few parts of the Triangle)

3] Around 3 hours daytime. Nighttime not much less unless you have a driver VERY experienced on the route; there is not much traffic yes but the road is unlit and there are many nasty turns, so driving over 50 km/h even at night can only done by a driver who knows all turns...

All the best,

<Erik> & [Sandya]

9. Re: Colombo to Kandy by A/C bus

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 5:17 am, October 11, 2013