We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Hiring a Driver in Sri Lanka

Which Kandy hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
QA
Level Contributor
13 posts
Save Topic
Hiring a Driver in Sri Lanka

HI,

me and my family are traveling around Sri Lanka (Kandy- Unawatuna-Colombo) and we were wondering how much it would cost to hire a driver with a car to take us around the country for 10 days - we're looking for decent cars and safe drivers

so we were wondering if anyone knew how much it would roughly cost and where we could arrange hiring the car and driver, can we just do it from our hotel in Kandy which is our first stop in Sri Lanka?

Thank You

St Austell
Level Contributor
3,508 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Hiring a Driver in Sri Lanka

Hi malshakarchi

If you hire a driver for the full tour, you will pay something in the region of LKR 6000 per day. The price will depend on the vehicle (ie car or larger 7/8 seater van) and also on the overall mileage covered.

It's worth getting a few quotes from reliable and recommended drivers to get comparative quotes and see which you like the sound of. Any of the DE's on this forum can give you details of drivers they've used and know to be good if you send a request for information by PM, or simply search the forum for details of drivers that have been posted by REGULAR forum users. Be wary of any spam messages you might get as a result of your query, as you cannot be sure of the quality or safety of these drivers, even if the price seems okay.

I don't know how long you are actually wanting to be on tour and how long you intend to have relaxing at Unawatuna. If you plan more than a day or so on the beach, it makes sense to part company with your driver once you get there and simply arrange a taxi back to Colombo when you are ready to move on, as this will be far cheaper than holding on to a driver and paying a daily rate if you are only intending to relax on the beach.

All the best

Sue

2. Re: Hiring a Driver in Sri Lanka

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post was determined to be inappropriate by the TripAdvisor community and has been removed.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

Our staff may also remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason. Thanks for being a part of the TripAdvisor travel community!

Removed on: 2:05 am, July 11, 2011
3. Re: Hiring a Driver in Sri Lanka

This post was determined to be inappropriate by the TripAdvisor community and has been removed.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

Our staff may also remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason. Thanks for being a part of the TripAdvisor travel community!

Removed on: 1:35 am, August 14, 2011
4. Re: Hiring a Driver in Sri Lanka

Removed on: 7:35 am, August 14, 2011
5. Re: Hiring a Driver in Sri Lanka

Removed on: 3:35 am, August 16, 2011
Edited: 3:35 am, August 16, 2011
6. Re: Hiring a Driver in Sri Lanka

Removed on: 12:05 pm, August 16, 2011
7. Re: Hiring a Driver in Sri Lanka

Removed on: 9:05 am, August 18, 2011
kandy
13 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: Hiring a Driver in Sri Lanka

Before you hire driver in Sri Lanka ask them to attach this details

Few photos of Car or van

Guide license Photo

Guide license number (some if them have fake license only to show foreign people)

Few recommendation letters form privies clients (with contact details)

Person not able to provide this details mean some thing wrong with him. In Sri Lanka you can find many drivers able to send these details for you.

Thanks

Lassana from Kandy

Gessate
Level Contributor
5 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Hiring a Driver in Sri Lanka

Probably it's too late for you, but I post anyhow my experience for the other people.

I've been in Sri Lanka for 12 days and, thanks to an italian review, I found a very good driver that I definitely recommend.

His name is Malith and he has a regular driving license, tourism dept. approved (as far as I understand, to do this job they have to pass a special examination).

He drives very safely and helps you in finding accomodation with very good price. We really save a lot of money with him!

He works for two different companies but if you contact him directly, you pay less and he get more. Without company in the middle you can spend about 40-45 $ per day, all inclusive (car, fuel and driver's accomodation).

You can call him or send an sms with your flight details and he will take care of everything. This is the number +94775584357.

If you need any help feel free to ask me.

Bye

Ramon

10. Re: Hiring a Driver in Sri Lanka

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 5:17 am, December 30, 2012