We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

best hotel inkandy

Which Kandy hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
London ,England
Level Contributor
65 posts
33 reviews
Save Topic
best hotel inkandy

have stayed at the citadel in kandy on the mahwelli river,can you recommend similar as want to to go for a couple of nights to watch the esala perahera when we are there.its for a 40th birthday so want something special to book ,before they are sold out.

nuneaton
Level Contributor
633 posts
64 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: best hotel inkandy

when are you going???

London ,England
Level Contributor
65 posts
33 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: best hotel inkandy

18th july to 8th of august.can you recommend something special

Colombo, Sri Lanka
Destination Expert
for Sri Lanka
Level Contributor
52,104 posts
176 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: best hotel inkandy

Hi there,

Citadel is a lovely 4-star. 5-stars are Mahaweli Reach hotel and Earl's Regency. Next to that the town/area has quite a few boutique places which are for sure 'special' and sometimes would also deserve quite a few stars. E.g. Manor, upto some extent Helga's Folly, the new Country Garden, etc. etc.

Regards,

<Erik> & [Sandya]

London ,England
Level Contributor
65 posts
33 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: best hotel inkandy

should i book now or will it be cheaper in srilanka.will this hotel be full?.

Colombo, Sri Lanka
Destination Expert
for Sri Lanka
Level Contributor
52,104 posts
176 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: best hotel inkandy

Don't book directly with any hotel in Lanka. Use

* Either a booking site like Asiarooms.com

* Or any bigger local operator/agent, though drivers/beach boys might also have contracts with those

Both should be able to give you the 'block rate' which is about the local rate, and 50% or less of what the hotel charges tourists directly.

Around Perahera hotels are VERY full and will have a surcharge on the price, so book early!

Regards,

<Erik> & [Sandya]

Fredericia, Denmark
Level Contributor
37,532 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: best hotel inkandy

I disagree re asiarooms.com. They are often more expensive than the hotels' website bookings.

Hans

Colombo, Sri Lanka
Destination Expert
for Sri Lanka
Level Contributor
52,104 posts
176 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: best hotel inkandy

Just gave them as an example. At times they're also 50% below the hotel's website prices. Just take a number of popular booking sites with enough SL offers, including Asiarooms, and it's quite easy to beat the hotel's own sites by a BIG margin...

Regards,

<Erik> & [Sandya]

London, United...
Level Contributor
60 posts
65 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: best hotel inkandy

OK, for Esala Perahera the hotel to stay in the Queens. It's historic, on the Perahera route (right near the start of the procession). If you get a front room you could watch the Perahera from your window. Downside, the Queems is impossible to contact much of the time...plus it really is, erm, faded glory and really not up to much but if its Perahera you want then its the mutts. I prefer the Suisse which is across the lake and has a lovely view. Another colonial glory (Mountbattens HQ during WW2), tuk tuk it into town. Next issue is seats for Perahera...at least $40 each plus watch out for promises not kept after you have parted with the readies. If you are young with lots of stamina, stake out a place on the raised bit at the side of the lake across from the Queens. All day plus you will be using space that is really for the local devout who can't afford tickets. It is a wonderful spectacle just remember to stand in respect as Maligawa Tusker passes by. You cannot miss him, he has no one riding him except the 'Tooth'.

Colchester
Level Contributor
898 posts
192 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: best hotel inkandy

Have just returned from Kandy (this week) and stayed as always at the Hilltop Hotel. This is very convenient for the town centre and although not a five star has very good accommodation and fantastic views. Rooms have A/C which works very well and are very clean and comfortable, if a little dated. Staff are fantastic and rates are much lower than other tourist hotels in Kandy. (I booked privately as I've been going there for 20 years but I think on Asia Rooms you can get it for less than £25.) If you really want to splash out, the latest boutique hotel is Theva Residency (I am waiting for permission to write a review on here)It is about 3Km from the town centre and has stunning views. Rooms are minimalist modern but not cheap -from $125 to $400 for the penthouse. You should be able to negociate something lower by going to them directly. Staff were fantastic - I had the place to myself for a weekend and they put on a superb BBQ for me and my friends. Nothing is too much trouble. Still a bit inexperienced but the enthusiasm makes up for this. Would be happy to tell you more if you want to contact me directly.

singapore
Level Contributor
1 post
4 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: best hotel inkandy

Have returned from Theva about a month ago and must say that it is a class on its own. Superb views, excellent food, great staff! Probably the best hotel close to Kandy center. It has only ten rooms, so expect very personal service. Went with 2 very young children. Staff were great with our children...the Chef even made special baby food for our 1 year old!