We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

RAF Base Ngumbo

Kent
5 posts
Save Topic
RAF Base Ngumbo

Hi I am travelling to Sri Lanka later this year.

I am especially interested in finding out where the RAF base was - I believe it was Negumbo - my dad was based there in the 50's (I can't ask him about it as he died a couple of years back).

I have tried the web but all I get are pictures of planes! My dad was a military policeman so I am more interested in what took place on the ground!

Thanks

New Malden, United...
Level Contributor
97 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: RAF Base Ngumbo

Hi,

The old RAF is called SLAF now. It is next to the Colombo international airport but with a separate entry from 18th mile post on Colombo-Negombo road.

Regards,

Ken.

Ahungalla, Sri Lanka
Destination Expert
for Sri Lanka, Kalutara, Ahungalla
Level Contributor
5,465 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: RAF Base Ngumbo

Hi there...

Cannot be 100% sure, but i seem to remember reading somewhere that the RAF were based at Ratmanala close to Colombo.

Used partly by the Sri Lankan Air Force these days and by some commercial charters too.

Hope this helps

Regards

Dave

Kent
5 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: RAF Base Ngumbo

Hi everyone

thanks for coming back to me. Still can't find too much about it though even after trawling the net.

Does anyone know if the RAF used Brown's hotel for water polo?

Was there actually a billet at Negumbo?

TawnyMaid

Dorset UK
Level Contributor
38 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: RAF Base Ngumbo

I dont know if these photo's of RAF Negombo might be of interest to you, but here is the link for them.

rides.webshots.com/album/35866796peTIYd

Kent
5 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: RAF Base Ngumbo

Hi Peter026

That's the problem, I just can't get the info I need. I have other info on the same subject on negombo. Will keep all my messages there and close this one.

tripadvisor.com/…10325018

Thanks for your help.

TM

6. Re: RAF Base Ngumbo

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 8:16 am, September 18, 2009