We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Kandy festival 2008

Which Kandy hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
603 posts
149 reviews
Save Topic
Kandy festival 2008

Can anyone advise what the dates are for the festival in 2008. I know its usually in July August sometime? Just like to know dates so we can avoid travel to this area at this time.

Thanks

UK
Level Contributor
253 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Kandy festival 2008

tripadvisor.com/ShowTopic-g304136-i9879-k113…

avoid?

Sevenoaks, United...
Level Contributor
256 posts
45 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Kandy festival 2008

I too want to find dates of Kandy Esala Perahera, but so I can get there rather than avoid - i thinks it sounds fantastic !!!

From what I undertstand it climaxes on the full moon of Esala and a bit of work on google reveals full moons to be July 18 and August 16 so should be one of them.

Can anyone advise any further ? and give advice as to whether this is something to avoid or to get to at any costs

Thanks very much

Dave L

UK
Level Contributor
119 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Kandy festival 2008

We were there this August and it's definitely something not to miss! We had a room at The Queens Hotel with a balcony overlooking the perahara. It was fantastic - watching the build up in the afternoon, and the clearing up afterwards as well as the actual procession was really interesting.

Sevenoaks, United...
Level Contributor
256 posts
45 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Kandy festival 2008

Thanks Red - I'll definitely try and get there - assuming I can find out when it's happenning that is !

Did you book up long in advance to get a room overlooking the parade and how much was it ? - i heard rooms were at big premium price during the festival.

Dave

Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
603 posts
149 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Kandy festival 2008

I still haven't found out what dates it is for 2008? I have been checking all the Sri Lankan tourist web sites and still no dates out for 2008.

If anyone knows please advise.

Cheers

Sevenoaks, United...
Level Contributor
256 posts
45 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Kandy festival 2008

Its got to be either 18 July or 16 August.

I cant make 18 July so am going to book for 16 August -hopefully I'll be lucky but if not, never mind !

suffolk
Level Contributor
7 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Kandy festival 2008

Hi all

I have just been informed by my travel company that 2008 Kandy perahera is 7th August to 16th August. We intend to be there, sounds spectacular.

Atherton, Australia
Level Contributor
28 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Kandy festival 2008

Yes the festival is definitely in August, and culminates with the full moon. I have been to Kandy

several times, however not to the festival. You all will have a great time visiting Kandy. What a beautiful place with so much to see, and everything is so reasonably priced. Only thing to beware of are those people who offer to take you to the gem shops or souvenir shops. However, they are all so friendly there, and Kandy is a very safe place to be.

leeds
Level Contributor
3 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Kandy festival 2008

Hi There,

Just as a confirmation of what somebody else had written, I have just rung the Sri Lankan Tourist Board in London and the dates are between 6th-16th August. Unfortunately, there won't be a confirmation of when between these until Mid May.

Hope this Helps!

10. Re: Kandy festival 2008

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 3:20 pm, September 22, 2009