We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

England v Sri Lanka - Kandy Dec 07

Worcester, England
7 posts
Save Topic
England v Sri Lanka - Kandy Dec 07

Hi

My 16-year old, cricket-mad, daughter and equally cricket-mad husband want to go to the test match scheduled for 18 December in Kandy. My 12-year old daughter isn't that keen on cricket and neither am I (we don't mind one or two days but not five!) so we would be interested in sight-seeing, relaxing by the pool and maybe horse riding (on safe horses)!

Any ideas for good value hotels or B&Bs, not too far from the cricket ground, where we can chill out and relax initially (we plan to arrive on 15th December so will have a few non-cricket days together) and from where me and my youngest daughter can travle reasonably easily to do our sight-seeing etc etc?

Thanks to anyone who can help.

We live in Worcester, England by the way.

Cheers

Linda

Mentioned in this post
Kandy
Kandy
Kandy District, Sri Lanka
Colombo, Sri Lanka
Destination Expert
for Sri Lanka
Level Contributor
59,212 posts
214 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: England v Sri Lanka - Kandy Dec 07

Hi Linda,

The cricket ground is Asgiriya stadium, not so far from the city centre on the west side. Closest hotels wih pool, but still more or less budget-class (2 star), are Swiss Residence and Hilltop - the latter far more central.

Horseriding is concentrated around Nuvara Eliya (2+ hours by car) but basically Kandy climate also allows for this, so chances you can find some facilities there too.

Take care to book cricket tickets, probably though tour agent or hotel, long before the match as these sell out quickly!

All the best,

<Erik> & [Sandya] - sometimes in Nether-marshlands and sometimes in Colombo marshlands...

Mentioned in this post
Colombo
Colombo
Western Province, Sri Lanka
Colombo
Level Contributor
1,062 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: England v Sri Lanka - Kandy Dec 07

Hi Linda,

I think Mahaweli Reach hotel is the best selection for this purpose because they have close relationships with some golf clubs & horse riding centres.If you stayed there i think they could help you on this.Also its just 10 minutes away from the city.If you need contact details just email me.

Nishantha

Mentioned in this post
Mahaweli Reach Hotel
Mahaweli Reach Hotel
1,200 Reviews
Kandy, Sri Lanka
Colombo, Sri Lanka
Destination Expert
for Sri Lanka
Level Contributor
59,212 posts
214 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: England v Sri Lanka - Kandy Dec 07

And to add: yes, Mahaweli (4/5 star, so a lot more expensive than the other two mentioned) might have more sporting contacts. Also it's a lot further from the cricket grounds than Swiss Residence and Hilltop which we mentioned earlier. Sandya added one more to that list, same 2-star category (but also not very close to city centre): Topaz hotel.

Have cricket fun,

<Erik> & [Sandya]

Mentioned in this post
Hotel Hilltop
Hotel Hilltop
697 Reviews
Kandy, Sri Lanka
Hotel Topaz
Hotel Topaz
814 Reviews
Kandy, Sri Lanka
Pontypridd, United...
Level Contributor
382 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: England v Sri Lanka - Kandy Dec 07

You don't need to purchase test tickets for Kandy in advance.

Locals are more interested in one day internationals (ODIs) and only the first day of a test match is there usually any significant demand.

Pay on the door and pay SL prices (a few rupees only). Reputable travel companies in SL (RedDot, JetWing, etc) provide tickets to their clients at face value which shows the ease of purchasing.

Mentioned in this post
Kandy
Kandy
Ahungalla, Sri Lanka
Destination Expert
for Sri Lanka, Kalutara, Ahungalla
Level Contributor
5,466 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: England v Sri Lanka - Kandy Dec 07

Hi Linda

Just to add to Erik's reply, Hilltop hotel is a good quality 3 star, owned and managed by one of Sri Lanka's top hotel chains, so in a very postition to advise on reasonable alternatives to cricket!

Yes, i have stayed there, and found it to be very good, with excellent service and food, with good quailty 3 star accomadation too, try it!!

Regards

Dave.

Mentioned in this post
Hotel Hilltop
Hotel Hilltop
697 Reviews
Kandy, Sri Lanka
Worcester, England
7 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: England v Sri Lanka - Kandy Dec 07

Thank you to Erik, Nishantha, MaidenO and Dave for your help. This website is a great idea!

In terms of costs, do you know what the difference is likely to be between, say, Hilltop and Mahawali - are we talking lots?

I don't know how busy December normally is in Kandy but I'm guessing the cricket might have an impact??

Also, if we fancied a lazy day by the pool, which hotel would be best and closer to other places of interest or activities? (we love to walk)

Are there any organised trips we could go on for example?

And eating out in the evening will be important as well, (this is the only time we might get to see my husband and eldest daughter)!!

Thanks again to you all

Linda

Mentioned in this post
Hotel Hilltop
Hotel Hilltop
697 Reviews
Kandy, Sri Lanka
Kandy
Kandy
Colombo, Sri Lanka
Destination Expert
for Sri Lanka
Level Contributor
59,212 posts
214 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: England v Sri Lanka - Kandy Dec 07

Hi again Linda,

Okay there we go...

> terms of costs, do you know what the difference is likely to be between, say, Hilltop and Mahawali - are we talking lots?

Hmmm... about 100%. On a site I saw recently, think it was hotels.lk, Hilltop was 35-40 euro and Mahaweli 75 euro per nicht.

>I don't know how busy December normally is in Kandy but I'm guessing the cricket might have an impact??

Yep, it will be filled up more with people, esp. on the first day as earlier in the thread it was noted that Lankans usually don't attend the full multi-day match.

>Also, if we fancied a lazy day by the pool, which hotel would be best and closer to other places of interest or activities? (we love to walk)

Hilltop is far more central than Swiss Residence or Mahaweli Reach. Really in walking distance from Temple of Tooth, lake and the main shopping/restaurant district.

>Are there any organised trips we could go on for example?

Plenty, from whatever hotel you choose. Pinawela elephant orphanage (20 km from town) is a can't miss, but the walking places (see above) and Peradeniya Gardens you can arrange on your own. A (long) day trip which Sandya would recommend is to Mahiyangana to see the Veddas, the 'aboriginal people' from Lanka.

>And eating out in the evening will be important as well, (this is the >only time we might get to see my husband and eldest daughter)!!

Hmmm... for tourists there aren't THAT many suitable restaurants in town outside the hotels. Hotels, of course, generally have good restaurants though buffet-centric. Devon restaurant on the main street from lake to Bus station (next to the main banks) is reasonable, both tourists and locals.

Hope this helps a bit,

<Erik> & [Sandya] - never forgetting Sandya's birth town...

Mentioned in this post
Hotel Hilltop
Hotel Hilltop
697 Reviews
Kandy, Sri Lanka
Kandy
Kandy
Mahaweli Reach Hotel
Mahaweli Reach Hotel
1,200 Reviews
Kandy, Sri Lanka
Hotel Devon
Hotel Devon
209 Reviews
Kandy, Sri Lanka
Ahungalla, Sri Lanka
Destination Expert
for Sri Lanka, Kalutara, Ahungalla
Level Contributor
5,466 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: England v Sri Lanka - Kandy Dec 07

Hi

Just to add to Erik's reply, Hilltop has a great pool area to be lazy in!!

Regards

Dave

Mentioned in this post
Hotel Hilltop
Hotel Hilltop
697 Reviews
Kandy, Sri Lanka
Worcester, England
7 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: England v Sri Lanka - Kandy Dec 07

Thanks again to Erik and Dave - Hilltop sounds the favourite based on all the feedback (and the elephant orphanage will definitely be on the list)!

Cheers

Linda

Mentioned in this post
Hotel Hilltop
Hotel Hilltop
697 Reviews
Kandy, Sri Lanka
UK
Level Contributor
253 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: England v Sri Lanka - Kandy Dec 07

We stayed outside Knady and had a great time on the west side so taxi in to see the cricket while you enjoy the forest elephants wild life pool etc etc

Have messaged you

Cheers