We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Tipping

london
Level Contributor
55 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Tipping

Thank you for all your answers so far, One more question please

we usually like to tip on a daily basis (so the right staff get the tip) what is the right sort of amount to tip

waiters bar staff room staff etc

and drivers

Thank you

Fredericia, Denmark
Level Contributor
37,532 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Tipping

A reasonable tip for the driver is LKR 500/day.

Room attendants, pool attendants LKR 500/week. Bell boys LKR 50-100 depending on how far they have to carry your luggage.

Restaurants round up to nearest 100 if service charge is included. Otherwise about 10%.

Remember tips have to be earned - not expected.

Hans

Colombo, Sri Lanka
Level Contributor
121 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Tipping

I personally think for the driver it needs to be little more than LKR 500/= per day. I agree with the rest of what hans said.

Colombo, Sri Lanka
Destination Expert
for Sri Lanka
Level Contributor
57,547 posts
200 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Tipping

I totally disagree with you Lakpura. 500/day is about DOUBLING the salary component of what he gets from the normal charges, and giving more only leads to useless price inflation and pricing the country more out of the market than already happens now...

All the best,

<Erik> & [Sandya]

Colombo, Sri Lanka
Level Contributor
121 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Tipping

You and I both know very well how this industry operates for the last 50+ years. All drivers are under paid in the industry and they live off from the tips and commissions from the shops. This underpayment of wages has resulted them to be creative in finding their living, creating unnecessary headache for the travelers to the Sri Lanka. Poor travelers to Sri Lanka end up paying high prices at tourist shops to compensate their under pay.

If LKR 500/- is suppose to be double the daily pay, we are looking at about LKR 750/= per day as his total earnings per given day. If he works for 22 days a month, he take home LKR 16,500/=. If you live in Sri Lanka, do the math and see if any small family can live off such a pay.

Colombo, Sri Lanka
Level Contributor
179 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Tipping

I would suggest Rs.500 as the minimum for the Driver.

If you are really happy and spent time in Luxury hotels, after 10 days including tip don't think offering the driver $100 (if that is not a big damage for you) if ok.

Tip is to be earned and there are guests who built houses too for their drivers.

I mainly agree with all above mentioned while NOT LIMITING your opportunity to help another person living through this indurtry.

Fredericia, Denmark
Level Contributor
37,532 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Tipping

Typical Lankan thinking. You stay in a luxury hotel so you have to pay/tip more.

Hans

wales
Level Contributor
149 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Tipping

I agree with Hans.

We all love to go the these places however I have found on numerous occasions they do seem to feel that if you can afford to hoilday in these places you should tip very well.What they dont seem to realise is we have to work very hard to afford these hoildays.We are not rich we save extremley hard to afford our holidays

Colombo, Sri Lanka
Level Contributor
121 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Tipping

you tip by choice not by force. it may $1, 2, 5 or 10 but end of the day, it is your choice based on the service you have received irrespective of you are a back packer or luxury traveler.

Colombo, Sri Lanka
Level Contributor
179 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Tipping

I think there is a problem of understanding "what is a tip".

Anyone who would not like to give a tip, they can remain so.

Coz you have paid for the service anyways.

I totally understand #7 comment and it is true. I also agree, there are some places which expect the tip to deliver a good job always and the tip is high. So these forums are here to help to avoid those.

On the other hand, I am not sure what is the purpose of getting tourists to a country who would go to 10 bars to check the price of a beer bottle and decide not a have a beer at the end.

Colombo, Sri Lanka
Level Contributor
121 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Tipping

If Sri Lanka to improve its foreign currency reserves using Tourism Trade, Sri Lanka needs to target high spenders (example: Dubai tourism). Sri Lanka is long haul destination for many part of the world, so it is very difficult to market Sri Lanka in global market. However, quality over quantity matters. Sri Lanka should NOT rob the fellow travelers buy charging absorbent prices from them for entry tickets, tax, etc, etc.

Get answers to your questions about Kalutara