We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Taxi to the Mermaid

Which Kalutara hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Leeds
Level Contributor
241 posts
28 reviews
Save Topic
Taxi to the Mermaid

We're going to the Mermaid Hotel at the end of April, booked with Mercury Direct. I've noticed on the booking form the option to book a taxi from the airport :

Want to get straight to your hotel without waiting for other guests at the airport? Why not upgrade to our Private Taxi Transfer service for £26.00 per person return, enjoy extra comfort and arrive at your accommodation in no time?

Just wondered if anyone else had done this and if it was worth it ????

Many thanks Jo

Colombo, Sri Lanka
Destination Expert
for Sri Lanka
Level Contributor
50,457 posts
174 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Taxi to the Mermaid

Well, the time savings will be at most 30 mins or so. And the overall travel for sure is NOT 'no time' but 2-2.5 hours at least, depending on the time of the day.

There aren't that many other hotels served by Mercury between airport and Mermaid, so a bus would have maybe 2-3 extra stops (hardly detours, the road follows the coast) before reaching Mermaid. But would indeed possible leave the airport later than taxi, as it needs to wait until all guests have cleared Immigration and grabbed their luggage.

All the best,

<Erik> & [Sandya]

2. Re: Taxi to the Mermaid

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post has been removed at the author's request. The author may repost if desired.

Posts on the TripAdvisor forums may be edited for a short period of time. Once the edit period has expired, authors may update their posts by removing and reposting them.

To read more about editing your posts, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/help/how_to_edit_your_posts

Removed on: 10:26 am, February 25, 2012
Ahungalla, Sri Lanka
Destination Expert
for Sri Lanka, Kalutara, Ahungalla
Level Contributor
5,454 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Taxi to the Mermaid

Hi there....

Actually the price quoted by Mercury Direct IS quite good, they have said £26.00 per person RETURN !!, personally i would go for that for the comfort zone alone.., plus they are more likely to offer a comfort stop en route...

But your holiday, therefore your choice...

Regards

Dave

Edited: 10:20 am, February 25, 2012
wales
Level Contributor
149 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Taxi to the Mermaid

We had a private taxi transfer booked through mercury direct. The ride was very good the car had full A/C. It was well worth the price. Hope this helps.

Edited: 12:48 pm, February 25, 2012
Leeds
Level Contributor
241 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Taxi to the Mermaid

Thanks for your replies - think I'll book the taxi......sounds a good deal !

Jo

Manchester, United...
Level Contributor
24 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Taxi to the Mermaid

Oh!! you asked what I wanted to know!! Great replies I will probaly be booking a private transfer as well now.Thankyou for helping me out! Would it be possible to post me some feedback about your stay and the transfer please? We are hoping to go in july with Mercury.Hope you have a great time!

Natalie.

Manchester, United...
Level Contributor
182 posts
73 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Taxi to the Mermaid

I have been to Sri Lanka twice throught Mercury Direct and didnt book private transfers. Both times there was actually no one else and so we got private transfers anyway. Because they use scheduled airlines i think this is pretty much the case most of the time. On the way home both times we only picked up another couple and they do not use coaches ,but, minivans. I personally wouldnt bother.

Leeds
Level Contributor
241 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Taxi to the Mermaid

Sorry, just looked at the forum and saw your post. Certainly will let you know what it's like. Really looking forward to the trip, sounds like the hotel is brilliant - who could ask for more ???

Jo

Tyne and Wear...
Level Contributor
625 posts
60 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Taxi to the Mermaid

just returned from our 3rd trip to sri lanka booked through mercury direct,we did not book a private transfer yet the last 2 holidays to bentota area we have had private transfer the first we had company of one other couple who went to a different hotel this did not cost us much extra time. my view is dont book private transfer save your money

Gravesend, Kent
Level Contributor
32 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Taxi to the Mermaid

As Mercury are now charging for standard transfers in Sri Lanka, it may well be worth while to take a taxi from the airport if you can negotiate a fair price.

Get answers to your questions about Kalutara