We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Kani Lanka/Avani

Chatham, United...
Level Contributor
222 posts
4 reviews
Save Topic
Kani Lanka/Avani

Finally getting to go back for another well earned trip to SL. This time I have booked into the old Kani Lanka, that I understand is now called Avani Kalutara. Trawling through various sites, one declares that this hotel will be closing for refurb during this summer. Does anyone have any info on this?

Also I notice a LOT of "home grown" reviews on this one, so if anyone has any particular recommendations to someone that likes a bit of real Sri Lanka, it would be nice if you could post a review , reply or pm me.

Ayubowan

Steve

Panadura, Sri Lanka
Level Contributor
590 posts
58 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Kani Lanka/Avani

Kani Lanka is already open, and the new name is Avani Lanka. The rates should be lot higher now as it is renovated (200+ $).

To see bit of real Sri Lanka, you would need to step out of the tourist routes. If you stay in Kalutara, you can go inland towards Bulathsinhala, Mathugama, Horana (All in Kalutara district). Visit village areas, but not meant to support tourists a lot. But people will be nice and sometimes surprised to see foreigners.

mysrilanka.com/travel/…pahiyangala.htm

This is one place inside Kalutara district. PM me of what you really like to see close to Kalutara, me living in kalutara district might be able to help you.

Cheers

Tharindu

Fredericia, Denmark
Level Contributor
37,532 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Kani Lanka/Avani

Hi Steve,

Agree. Too many reviews of Kani Lanka (Avani Kalutara Resort) are dodgy. Many are pure promotion for a certain restaurant nearby. I have reported quite a few, but have given up now. Visitors should easily detect the very poor English in many reviews and realise that they are written by locals.

I have a friend that is working at the hotel. I will get an update on the refurbishment from her in a couple of days.

Hans

Edited: 7:48 am, January 21, 2012
Colombo, Sri Lanka
Destination Expert
for Sri Lanka
Level Contributor
61,988 posts
221 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Kani Lanka/Avani

Hi there,

And many other options for daytrips also from Kalutara can be found here

tripadvisor.com/Travel-g293961-c122197/Sri-L…

All the best,

<Erik> & [Sandya]

Ahungalla, Sri Lanka
Level Contributor
5,466 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Kani Lanka/Avani

Hi Steve... and welcome back !

You more than most know the score about trips from Kalutara ! AND maybe the best way of going about it ?? !! :-)

Agree that a LOT of reviews about your intended hotel can be "Dubious" to say the least !!, , and i too have reported a LOT as advertising/self promotion, although to be honest not looked recently, maybe i will now !, so maybe some of those "Home Grown" ones will soon be history.. :-)

There is a "Turf War" going on there with Beach Boys and reps from a certain restaraunt as already mentioned, so beware ok !, but as i already said you will know the score... :-)

Sorry, can't answer for the hotel itself, as you know not my stomping ground... :-)

Trust you and your good Lady are well and happy ?

Regards & Ayubowan

Dave

Edited: 9:57 am, January 21, 2012
Fredericia, Denmark
Level Contributor
37,532 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Kani Lanka/Avani

Hi Steve,

Kani Lanka changed name to Avani Kalutara Resort about a month ago. They are planned to be closed for refurbishment for 4-5 months from early May.

Hans

Ahungalla, Sri Lanka
Level Contributor
5,466 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Kani Lanka/Avani

Steve...

If confirmed closure from early May for 4 to 5 months, then in reality forget about Avani till at least end of November, you know how things work out in Sri Lanka :-), hotels rarely reopen on time...

More likely you have booked earlier than latest planned closure ?, if so how did you manage that with the new job ??

Regards

Dave

Edited: 11:12 am, January 23, 2012
Chatham, United...
Level Contributor
222 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Kani Lanka/Avani

I will be over there at the usual time to celebrate my fortytenth birthday and our wedding anniversary. Dave, you know when that is. That should give us about 4-6 weeks leeway.

Which chain owns this now? Just thinking about where we could be moved to if need be.

Ahungalla, Sri Lanka
Level Contributor
5,466 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Kani Lanka/Avani

Steve...

It is owned i believe by Serendib Leisure, so alternatives could be ? Bentota Beach, now to renamed Avani Bentota Resort & Spa, other well known beach hotel in same group is Club Hotel Dolphin in Waikkal, then of course non beach hotel is Hotel Sigirya....

According to a friend at Serendib Leisure Excecutive Reservations, your hotel is "expected" to be closed from 1st of May 2012 till the 31st of August 2012., but she said the word "expected" rather shyly !...., you will find her among my facbook friends, Krystle.., married to Front Office Manager at HA !!

Love the "fortytenth" bit :-)

Regards

Dave

Fredericia, Denmark
Level Contributor
37,532 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Kani Lanka/Avani

Yes, Avani is owned by Serendib Leisure and a Thai company.

Bentota Beach Hotel is owned John Keels. It was Serendib Hotel that was refurbished, upgraded and renamed Avani Bentota Resort & Spa.

Hans

uk
Level Contributor
163 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Kani Lanka/Avani

Hi all

Just about to book Avani Kalutara fro October - can anyone confirm if it is fully open - we dont want to be going to a building site.

We were ther 2 years ago and it was lovely - worried now about going back

grateful if someone can advise

Get answers to your questions about Kalutara