We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Taxi from airport to Hikkaduwa

Aberdare, United...
Level Contributor
28 posts
Save Topic
Taxi from airport to Hikkaduwa

My wife and I arrive in Sri Lanka for the 1st time in March. We are from the UK. Can anyone tell me how much should I expect to pay for a taxi to Hikkaduwa? Also is it best to pay in US$, or £sterling or local money? Also, do I book a taxi in advance or pick one up at the airport?

Mentioned in this post
Colombo, Sri Lanka
Destination Expert
for Sri Lanka
Level Contributor
58,809 posts
212 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Taxi from airport to Hikkaduwa

Hi there,

Pick one at airport from one of the 6 desks. Pay in LKR. Cost around Rs 9,500 plus around Rs 800 Expressway toll if you travel daytime.

All the best,

<Erik> & [Sandya]

Aberdare, United...
Level Contributor
28 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Taxi from airport to Hikkaduwa

Thanks Erik, I will take your advice. One more question if you can help, is it better to take US$ or £s sterling with us to change once we get there.

Regards,

Martyn

Colombo, Sri Lanka
Destination Expert
for Sri Lanka
Level Contributor
58,809 posts
212 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Taxi from airport to Hikkaduwa

Hi again,

For Brits for sure Sterling. There is a persistent urban jungle story roaming that in Lanka USD would be better, total crap. It's just that some prices are published in USD but still actual payment is best in LKR. Bring your own Western currency, e.g. in our case Euro, and change into LKR once there.

All the best,

<Erik> & [Sandya]

Aberdare, United...
Level Contributor
28 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Taxi from airport to Hikkaduwa

Thanks again Erik,

That is most helpful,

Best Regards,

Martyn.

5. Re: Taxi from airport to Hikkaduwa

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 1:20 am, January 18, 2015
Get answers to your questions about Hikkaduwa