We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

And the next beach cleanup:

Colombo, Sri Lanka
Destination Expert
for Sri Lanka
Level Contributor
54,822 posts
196 reviews
Save Topic
And the next beach cleanup:

colombopage.com/archive_12A/Sep13_1347475631…

ceylontoday.lk/16-12678-news-detail-hikkaduw…

following Unuwatuna's of last winter.

Hope that THIS time authorities clear up the rubble afterwards too, otherwise the potential blessing for the tourist season (nice open beach) could turn into another curse (rubble and sharp iron all over, almost giving a tsunami feeling)...

All the best,

<Erik> & [Sandya]

Edited: 2:24 am, September 13, 2012
newcastle upon tyne
Level Contributor
10,949 posts
152 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: And the next beach cleanup:

Nothing in either article about which structures are being demolished. Will be interesting to find out what work has been done, and as Erik says, will it be cleaned up afterwards.

Hannover, Germany
Level Contributor
1,174 posts
1 review
Save Reply
2. Re: And the next beach cleanup:

Why should the government clean up the beach. The owner know it's illegal, but not renaturalize. So the government break down and the owner must clean or not. It is his decision.

Colombo, Sri Lanka
Destination Expert
for Sri Lanka
Level Contributor
54,822 posts
196 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: And the next beach cleanup:

I'm not talking about legal obligations here but about quality of a beach for a tourist. U'tuna on a scale of 1-10 (esp. on east side) before the cleanup was a meagre 6. Directly after the cleanup it fell back to a _4_ because the metal pins etc. made it positively dangerous to walk or swim there. After the locals cleaned up it became quality level 8, and now more or less stays that.

If the government can order a bulldozer to remove a building a RESPONSIBLE government should also order someone, their own staff or the owner, to clear up the mess and enforce that it's done immediately. Otherwise Lanka is again shooting itself in the foot as for tourist quality...

Awaiting onsite reports to see what level Hikka north beach now has, a 4 or an 8 ;-)

All the best,

<Erik> & [Sandya]

Muscat Governorate...
Level Contributor
212 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: And the next beach cleanup:

Have to agree with Eric 100% on the above. Having worked with CCD on several projects, I know they are now (especially after it was taken under the Ministry Of Defense) being very strict about managing the coastline and keeping it as public property. But at the same time, like Eric pointed out, leaving the rubble behind is as irresponsible as it can be. Technically, the beach within CCD reservation is public property (hence the reason to remove unauthorised construction) and it is the government's responsibility to keep it clean.

Stockton-on-Tees...
Level Contributor
193 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: And the next beach cleanup:

Hi all

Any idea what Hikkaduwa beach is like at the moment (narigama area), I'm going in a few weeks and last time I was there it was beautiful, am I going to be disappointed?

Thanks

Santa Barbara...
8 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: And the next beach cleanup:

As far as Hikka Beach it depends. Some areas were ok and some areas were really bad. I am not sure where the demolishing happened, but it is an ocean, so regardless the area that it happened it could still come to another part of the beach. I walked from where Citrus is located and to the small bay area by Chaya Tranz. Small bay area by Chaya Trans is ok and lots of people were swimming and walking, but the strip by the Citrus there were lots of rubble especially broken glass, metal pieces, etc.

Southport, United...
Level Contributor
1 post
27 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: And the next beach cleanup:

We're staying at the Blue Note Hotel at the moment. As we walked along the beach to the left, there are some small areas of rubble, but once you pass them, the beach opens out and is quite clean, however, to the right of our hotel we struggled to walk over the vast amount of rubble, it seems such a shame that the government would condone such an act, because the area still seems to do well from tourism, it just makes you wonder what their agenda is.

8. Re: And the next beach cleanup:

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 5:19 pm, December 15, 2013
Get answers to your questions about Hikkaduwa