We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Yala park in the end of september

Which Dambulla hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Nahariya
Level Contributor
27 posts
29 reviews
Save Topic
Yala park in the end of september

Is it worth to visit yala park at the end of September?

Will we see some tigers?

What national parks are most recommended in the end of September?

Tjank you

Orly

Colombo, Sri Lanka
Destination Expert
for Sri Lanka
Level Contributor
50,614 posts
174 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Yala park in the end of september

Hi Orly,

There are no tigers in Lanka and hence also not in Yala. If you mean leopards: a few exist in Yala and Wilpattu.

September it's unsure whether Yala will be opened, in 2010 and 2011 it was but the years before it was closed Sep and half of Oct due to drought. Water was brought in by bowsers these years. Unsure what will happen now.

Minneriya is an alternative for September - it has a huge elephant 'gathering' then. However no leopards.

All the best,

<Erik> & [Sandya]

Colombo, Sri Lanka
Level Contributor
85 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Yala park in the end of september

If Yala, close Im remand you to visit Wilpattu NP. to see willd leopards.

Sharon Gunathilake GST

Los Angeles
Level Contributor
325 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Yala park in the end of september

Orly,

My contacts at Yala told me today that, similar to the previous couple of years, the authorities plan to keep Yala open during the dought by bringing in bowsers with water to fill in the water holes. However, it is very hard to trust word of mouth, or even official memos, as things can change instantly on the whims and fancies of certain high ups.

The reason for keeping the park open all year long is the income generated through tourism. They did find out that there was a big loss of revenue when they did close the park due to the drought. The water transportation cost is indeed minute compared to the income that comes in.

A few years back, I was shooting for 2 days, when the water holes were being refilled, and the result was very negative. It takes several trips with the bowsers to fill one water hole, and this means many runs up and down in a large diesel vehicle making a lot of noise throughout the day, until almost dusk. These vehicles drive into the water hole and personnel get down from the vehicle to unload the water. With the loud talking between workers and the vehicles coming into an area that has not been accessed before, animals get scared away from the water holes and the main roads. The only leopard I saw was at 5:45 pm (15 minutes before the park closed)...well after everyone had left. We almost did not make it to the main gate in time, and could have got into serious trouble.

You could always consider Wilpattu, but the leopard population still remains low. I had two reports last month from Sri Lankan friends, where one had an excellent sighting, and the other saw no leopards for two days.

Robbie

Nahariya
Level Contributor
27 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Yala park in the end of september

Thank you for your answer

Orly

Colombo, Sri Lanka
Level Contributor
13 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Yala park in the end of september

Hello

First of all i should say there are tigers in Yala. But the number is very low. one of friends recently photographed a tigress with three cubs. Its never east for a normal guide to pick it up and they do not know the hot spots

Then i would say there are quite a handsome number of leopards. to spot leopards golden rule is to wait few hours at hot spots. if you rush there will be no leopards at all. last May when i did Yala i spotted 7 leopards within 2 days. with some classy poses. I have photographs of two of my friends who recently did yala who are indians. they have captured the best.

Now coming to september i would say yala will not be a handsome destination. I recommend you wilpattu and i would say there are leopards plus similar flora and fauna at wilpattu. Still the park is blossoming and guides are still getting knowkledge on hotspots and tracking.

As above mentioned Minneriya or Kawdulla will be good for huge herds of elephants. Please check with the locals and select the park as the same herd crosses both parks. so one time one park is only filled with the huge herd.

Hope you got some idea about wildlife here. just email me at herukng@gmail.com if you need furthur info. um a local traveller and a photographer.

Good luck with your trip

Negambo
Level Contributor
110 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Yala park in the end of september

Hi,

sorry to be negative but on the subject of Leopards, i think anyone will have a better chance of spotting a leopards at Yala over Wilpattu. even though everyone is aware that Wilpattu has a bigger leopards population than Yala. due to very large size of the park they known to be scattered around. where as at Yala, mostly the leopards are concentrated so chances are better 'in my opinion'.

i know few friends who visited both Yala and Wilpattu so the details are actually coming from them. But Wilpattu will be a whole new experience... decide accordingly...

Nahariya
Level Contributor
27 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Yala park in the end of september

Thank you for the information

How can I get the information what park to choose Minneriya or Kadulla?

Thanks again

Orly

Fredericia, Denmark
Level Contributor
37,532 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Yala park in the end of september

Minneriya and Kaudulla more or less share the same herd of elephants. Jeep drivers will know which park will be best on the day.

Hans

Hyderabad, India
Level Contributor
202 posts
48 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Yala park in the end of september

Hi have been reading this forum, but its not clear which month is best for peopard safari in Yala. We are palnning to go in July-would it be worthwhile? And what would the weather be like? Humid? Hot?

Does anyone know of reasonably priced safari operators or camps inside Yala. Do they have different rates for non-SriLankans?

Thanks

Colombo, Sri Lanka
Destination Expert
for Sri Lanka
Level Contributor
50,614 posts
174 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Yala park in the end of september

Hi there,

Not much difference over the year. Weather is year round hot and humid on the coast including Yala; July is a bit dryer than usual as it's west monsoon time then.

Camps inside Yala are crappily overpriced as are tents. It's totally unlike Africa; yes some are inside the park but in gated zones where no larger animals can come, and the effect is a similar experience as in e.g. Chaaya Wild hotel (on the edge of the park) but at 300% of its cost and 10-20% of its luxury. One is NOT allowed to enter the real park, outside that gated zone, during darkness. Simply stay outside and do a normal dusk or dawn safari. The jeep rates are same for all, the entrance fees differ between tourists (not certain of SAARC discounts) and locals.

All the best,

<Erik> & [Sandya]

PS For posting #5: please check Wikipedia, real tigers are extinct in Lanka for 100 years at least. It's leopards you have seen.