We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

kandalama

norfolk
Level Contributor
24 posts
2 reviews
Save Topic
kandalama

hi - we are off to kandalama hotel for 5 nights in april next year and wondered if anyone could tell us if we need to take malaria tablets/have injections etc. Also, what sort of things are there to do in the area? many thanks

Fredericia, Denmark
Level Contributor
37,532 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: kandalama

Dambulla is in a low risk area for malaria, but better safe than sorry.

Here you can see what NHS UK recommend for Sri Lanka: http://www.fitfortravel.nhs.uk/destinations/asia-(east)/sri-lanka.aspx

Before travelling always have a word with your GP or travel clinic.

Hans

Lancs, UK
Level Contributor
28 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: kandalama

There is some Malaria in the Cultural Triangle, so best take the pills. It's not a problem and they go down quite easily with a pre-dinner G&T. The Kandalama is my favourite hotel in the whole world. The room boys will make sure your anti - mossie mats are on and loaded in the evenings. Just make sure you put some repellent on when it gets dark - its not a big deal. Watch out for the monkeys (macaques - true punks of the monkey world) on the balcony - they may be cute but they will try to snatch food, so don't leave any out. And don't feed them, it only encourages the little blighters. There are langurs in troops as well, they are very gentle and placid, and no problem - sometimes you will see them come down to drink by the pool. There is loads to do.

Around the hotel you can go for walks, do bird spotting, take a boat trip on Kandalama Tank, do elephant rides and so on. If you are feeling adventurous you can take a walk into the local village. Plenty of places to visit. Dambulla Rock Temple (bit of a tourist trap), Sigiriya is amazing, further afield Mihintale, or Polonaruwa. You can do a day trip to Kandy.

But the scenery and birdlife around the hotel are great, the pools are fab and you can easily while away several days there and not get bored. Well I can, at any rate. Just go, chill and enjoy.

Colchester
Level Contributor
898 posts
202 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: kandalama

I have experience of living, working and visiting Sri Lanka that goes back over twenty years and until this year always took malarial prophylaxis. However, my travel clinic advised that this is no longer necessary and so I have stopped taking them.

Have a look at the map on this link and you will see that most tourist destinations are in the low risk zone:

fitfortravel.nhs.uk/destinations/asia-%28eas…

Have stayed at Kandalama many times, including June of this year and mossies have never been a big problem. Of course, use lots of DEET spray and cover up when necessary but A/C and coils in the rooms means that you are unlikely to have problems there.

It is always advisable to seek the expert advice of your GP or Travel Nurse, not just for malaria risk but to see that all your vaccinations are up to date.

On a more positive note, Kandalama is a wonderful place and, as already suggested, there is lots to do in and around the hotel but for me the best thing about it is that it's the perfect place to relax and experience the magical surroundings. I always strongly recommend going to the rock pool above the main swimming pool with a cool bevarage and drinking in the beauty and tranquility of the place. Enjoy.

Edited: 3:05 am, December 18, 2009
4. Re: kandalama

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:16 am, June 17, 2010