We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Accommodations in the Cultural Triangle

Elmhurst, Illinois
Level Contributor
889 posts
482 reviews
Save Topic
Accommodations in the Cultural Triangle

Is it advisable to stay in one hotel and travel to the different sights around the Cultural Triangle? My husband and I will have a private car/driver and plan to spend 3 nights/days in the area. We plan to visit Anuradhapura. Polonnaruwa, Sigiriya and Dambulla.

It is always more convenient to stay at one hotel but is this the best way to do it?

For example, if we stayed in Dambulla, could we go to Anuradhapura one day and Polonnaruwa another and return in the afternoon to the hotel in Dambulla?

How much driving is involved and how is the condition of the roads?

All feedback appreciated!

Many thanks!!!

Fredericia, Denmark
Level Contributor
37,532 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Accommodations in the Cultural Triangle

You can stay in one hotel and do day trips, e.g. Dambulla to Anuradhapura is approx. 1.5 hours drive each way, Dambulla to Polonnaruwa is approx. 2 hours drive each way.

The main roads in that area a quite good.

Habarana is the most central place.

Hans

Elmhurst, Illinois
Level Contributor
889 posts
482 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Accommodations in the Cultural Triangle

Many thanks Hans_Den!!!! This is what I was hoping for !!!

Cheers!

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
493 posts
79 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Accommodations in the Cultural Triangle

How long is the drive from Habarana to Polonnaruwa?

Many thanks!

Wadduwa
Level Contributor
40 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Accommodations in the Cultural Triangle

there are about 50kms from habaraba to polonnarauwa and it will take approximately 1 hour.

Elmhurst, Illinois
Level Contributor
889 posts
482 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Accommodations in the Cultural Triangle

It is better to stay at one hotel and not have to move around so much!!!!

Thanks again, KrishFer!

Which do you consider like the best hotels to stay in the area? I know, Vil Uyan is very well rated but neither my husband nor I are attracted to it!! I really think, mosquitoes there can be a big problem. I had been looking at the Heritance Kandalama but would like to look at other options as well!!

Suggestions appreciated! Cheers!

Fredericia, Denmark
Level Contributor
37,532 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Accommodations in the Cultural Triangle

Cinnamon Lodge or Chaaya Village.

Hans

Rome, Italy
Destination Expert
for Sri Lanka, Maldives
Level Contributor
11,374 posts
81 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Accommodations in the Cultural Triangle

Cinnamon Lodge, Chaaya Village, Vil Uyana or Kandalama... what a wonderful list of hotels to chose from :)

i would put Kandalama on top of the list (we loved the room with the view over the lake and loads of birds roaming around and having monkeys jump on and off our balcony)

then Vil Uyana (gorgeous private villa with private pool, but there were no mosquito nets, so LOTS of mosquitoes, which is not a problem if you like the AC, if not...)

Chaaya Village (all the lovely bird sightings we had right from our room probably gave it many bonus points. beautiful location too)

and Cinnamon Lodge would be the last in line...but not because its bad, but only because the others are much better :)

Wadduwa
Level Contributor
40 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: Accommodations in the Cultural Triangle

Vil uyana is very good if you are a bird watcher. The place itself attract many birds. And it's a good place to see and PHOTOGRAPH grey slender loris.

I recommend Chaaya village because rates are lower compared to vil uyana and Heritance kandalama

1 Chaaya village

2 Heritance kandalama

3 vil uyana.

Edited: 10:32 am, October 23, 2012
Elmhurst, Illinois
Level Contributor
889 posts
482 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Accommodations in the Cultural Triangle

Thanks everyone!!!! I will check them out once more before booking!!!!

Have an awesome day! Cheers!!!!!!

10. Re: Accommodations in the Cultural Triangle

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 5:17 am, November 04, 2013