We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

nothing to see

New York, NY
Level Contributor
20 posts
181 reviews
Save Topic
nothing to see

I just returned from a trip to West Africa and spent 3 days in St. Louis at the Sunu Keur B&B--a very nice and clean place. St. Louis, however, is awful. Nothing to see, all ruins and dirt and the locals are aggressive and unwelcoming. The Sunu Keur is next to a Koran school. Students threw stones at the roof terrace of the B&B because they saw a Dutch guest with long hair.

We took a tour of Djoudj --a UNESCO world heritage site--a total rip at $100. Nothing to see and all you get is a 1 hour boat ride through a dump.

UK
Destination Expert
for Malindi, Ukunda, Kenya
Level Contributor
4,778 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: nothing to see

Wow. . . that's pretty negative. I presume you had a good look around the island itself? Did you do so with a local? Since you stayed on the spit in Sunu Keur, I'm assuming you visited that part of town, out on the ocean side.

And the Parc National des Oiseaux du Djoudj. . . No oiseaux at all?

Richard

New York, NY
Level Contributor
20 posts
181 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: nothing to see

Saw some pelicans but for $100 not worth the trouble. The world is big and round and unless you must go to that part of the world, I would not recommend it.

Dakar, Senegal
Level Contributor
292 posts
1 review
Save Reply
3. Re: nothing to see

I'm really happy to see someone tell the truth about St Louis... Thank you Tom and I am going to link your comments to my guests that INSIST on going to St Louis before they get here. I usually talk them out of it because of the same reasons you mentioned - also it's a long trip. We accommodate them with day trips and they are happy with that, but 3 days, yes, WAY too long!

Just for the further information, unless the jazz festival is going on, a horse and buggy ride thru Rufisque is closer and less expensive. The same colonial architecture can be found there as well - the two places are very similar but Rufisque is just outside Dakar proper.

4. Re: nothing to see

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 1:18 am, June 06, 2011
Get answers to your questions about Saint-Louis