We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Nasca Lines - Are the flights dangerous?

Which Nazca hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Saltcoats, United...
Level Contributor
176 posts
12 reviews
Save Topic
Nasca Lines - Are the flights dangerous?

Hi All. Me and my girlfriend are planning a trip to Peru through Intrepid travel. Our tour includes a visit to the Nasca Lines, with an option to take a flight over them,

However we have read on several sites and forums that the aircraft are old and poorly maintained, and that there have been a number of fatal incidents over the past few years, which have worried us both.

I understand there is a viewing platform, but the best way to see the lines is from the air. My questions are as follows:

1 - Have there been guidelines and regulations put in place since the accidents and what is the current situation?

2 - I imagine that there are quite a few daily flights that fly from the airport , someone mentioned 30,000 flights a year from there - are that the governments are over exaggerating the situation...?

3 - Are there any airlines which are safer than the others?

Any other personal experiences, or recommendations and advice any of you can provide? It would be much appreciated...

thanks

Bryan

Lima, Peru
Level Contributor
3,908 posts
120 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Nasca Lines - Are the flights dangerous?

Will recommend checking out the airline's name of the company that will do the fly over with Intrepid Travel and you can check it out in this forum

Always fly with a reputable airline....more expensive but worthwhile

Saltcoats, United...
Level Contributor
176 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Nasca Lines - Are the flights dangerous?

Intrepid travel simply state:

Flight over the Nazca Lines, Nazca - from USD60-100 (plus PEN20 airport tax) - As at November 2010 some western countries' travel advisories advise against this optional activity due to concerns around proper aircraft safety and maintenance standards not being reliably adhered to. For more information please refer to your country's travel advice website.

In our itinerary, they say the flight is "optional" i think what this means is ie; we arrange it ourselves at the airport....

Lima, Peru
Level Contributor
3,908 posts
120 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Nasca Lines - Are the flights dangerous?

ok....

There is Tikariy (recommended by me) and Aerodiana

Saltcoats, United...
Level Contributor
176 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Nasca Lines - Are the flights dangerous?

thank you FalcoG, do you remember how much it cost you? what size of plane was it? (did you get a good view to take photos of the lines)

Lima, Peru
Level Contributor
3,908 posts
120 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Nasca Lines - Are the flights dangerous?

the plane was a Cessna Grand Caravan and I think it was for 10 people....sorry do not know the price as I was invited along with a group

I did see the lines with the help of a friend.

Sorry cannot help you with the price or the photos

Chesterfield...
Level Contributor
111 posts
52 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Nasca Lines - Are the flights dangerous?

We went with Aerodiana last year, sorry I can't remember how much it cost but it wasn't expensive for what we got-although as with all things the price is bound to have gone up this year.

The planes they had all looked reasonably new and we didn't have any concerns about safety. The plane we had took 12 people and with single seats down both sides we all had a window. The pilot was excellent, flying over all of the lines in both directions so that whichever side of the plane you were sitting you got a really good view and could take good photos.

One word of warning, it is a small plane and because the pilot banks from side to side so that you get a good view it does mean that if you are not a good air traveller you may be in danger of losing your breakfast!!

Saltcoats, United...
Level Contributor
176 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Nasca Lines - Are the flights dangerous?

thanks, i think you have alleviated our fears. by your suggestions i think we will book with Aerodiana. none of us are squeamish flyers so the banking shouldnt be a problem.

i think that what i was expecting was some ww1 ancient plane, falling apart at the seams, with bolts and nuts missing haha

Lima, Peru
Level Contributor
3,908 posts
120 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Nasca Lines - Are the flights dangerous?

Sure and remnants of the Vietnam War..... : )

No...and they will even give you coffee or tea and napkins....

Take a dramamine before the flight to enjoy it more!

Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
781 posts
255 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Nasca Lines - Are the flights dangerous?

I agree with the others. Check the reputation. Lots of people have been doing the Nazca flights, but there have been some stories in the news lately. Its the only way to see the lines.

Chesterfield...
Level Contributor
111 posts
52 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Nasca Lines - Are the flights dangerous?

Hi again kamikazi.

Just found the itinerary of the tour we did and the price we paid for the flight over the Nazca lines was US$45 each. They would only accept US$ so make sure that you have some before you get there as there isn't (or wasn't last year) an ATM at the airfield. As I said before, the price is bound to have gone up but you will be able to find out how much when you book.

Have a great time-we did.