We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Laguna Churup without a guide?

Helsinki, Finland
Level Contributor
77 posts
29 reviews
Save Topic
Laguna Churup without a guide?

Hello,

I am getting quite conflicting information as to whether the day hike to Laguna Churup can be done without a guide. Some people insist that any hike in Huascaran national park is not possible without a guide (unless you hold some alpine club card), and some people say that it is possible. I am not sure whether this is simply a matter of outdated information.

Can someone who has been there recently comment about this?

Thank you very much

Lima, Peru
Destination Expert
for Cusco, Lima, Arequipa, Peru
Level Contributor
18,530 posts
509 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Laguna Churup without a guide?

I recommend you use a tour agency.

The climb is to an altitude of 4450 meters and its located 20 kms from Huaraz city and could be dangerous if you do not know what you are doing.

Maybe use someone like : enriqueexpeditiontours.com/english_2010.htm

The hike takes at least 9 hours

Sasolburg,South...
Level Contributor
411 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Laguna Churup without a guide?

I agree with Xochitl, I used peruvian andes adventures(www.peruvianandes.com ) for my day trek to Laguna Churup.

Heinrich

Helsinki, Finland
Level Contributor
77 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Laguna Churup without a guide?

Thanks for the replies! I will try to go with a guide. I'll arrive in Huaraz just one day before I need to do the hike (from the south, so I will be acclimatized) so hopefully it can be organized so quickly.

Kuala Lumpur...
Level Contributor
20 posts
36 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Laguna Churup without a guide?

Hi,

I did it without a guide and had no problems. On the day I went there were also about 6 other people doing it without guides. You take a combi from Huaraz and then one back from the end of the lake trail. (I can't remember the street name in Huaraz where you take the combi from, but if you ask your hostel I'm sure they'll be able to tell you where the combis leave from It's one street with lots of combis lined up with their destinations written on a sign in their windscreens).

The path to the lake is clearly signed and it's an obvious trail, really straight forward. There is also a a park official at the beginning of the trail that can give you more info, plus you have to write down your name so they know you are going on the trail.

For more info on how I got there and did it check out this blog.......

…wordpress.com/2011/…

Hope that helps!

Manchester, United...
Level Contributor
1 post
5 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Laguna Churup without a guide?

I climbed this without a guide. We got a combi driver to drive us up to the bottom of the mountainy bit though, and I did have a friend who is quite into climbing there to give me a few leg ups.

6. Re: Laguna Churup without a guide?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 6:18 am, October 16, 2012