We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Llactapata

Great Barrington...
Level Contributor
4,243 posts
59 reviews
Save Topic
Llactapata

I would like to hike from AC to Llactapata. Can anyone tell me any experiences they have had in doing this from AC?

Thanks in advance.

cusco
Level Contributor
568 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Llactapata

Usually it is done on the last leg of the alternative trek in reverse. You can walk from AG early in the morning to Hydroelectric(2hr walk) then start a walk up for about 3hours to Llactapata. Then will have to descend again.

Great Barrington...
Level Contributor
4,243 posts
59 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Llactapata

Is that the hydroelectric power plant the one I see when I am coming into Aguas Caliente on the train, or is past the town?

Lima, Peru
Destination Expert
for Cusco, Lima, Arequipa, Peru
Level Contributor
18,290 posts
501 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Llactapata

No, the hidroelectrica is past Aguas Calientes when coming from Ollantaytambo. Only the local train goes towards that station

Great Barrington...
Level Contributor
4,243 posts
59 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Llactapata

How does one find a schedule and purchase tickets?

Great Barrington...
Level Contributor
4,243 posts
59 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Llactapata

Thanks, Gabriel.

I know about the "back way" into MP but that won't work for me this time.

Thanks for the other info.

Great Barrington...
Level Contributor
4,243 posts
59 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Llactapata

Thanks, Gabriel.

Can't I take the train from AC to the hidroelectrica?

Cusco, Peru
Level Contributor
34 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Llactapata

Hi: there

you can go by bus to Santa teresa and then you can hike from la playa to llactapata

first you have to go to Quillabamba bus station and take a bus to Santa Maria then from Santa Maria you can take another bus to bus Santa Teresa in Santa teresa there are many bus to la playa Campsite the last campsite of the Salkantay trekkers, Once in la playa you can talk with the local people and spend the nigh there and you hire a local guy and he can show you the way to Llactapata

Second once you finished to visit llactapata you will reach hidroelectrica from there you can hike two hours and half to Aguas Calientes

and spend the nigh there and then you can go to visit Machupicchu and leter buy yout train ticket back to cusco ot take the same way to get back to Cusco

Great Barrington...
Level Contributor
4,243 posts
59 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Llactapata

Thank you. But since I will be in Aguas Calientes first, can I take the train to the hydroelectrica?

9. Re: Llactapata

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 2:16 pm, October 11, 2012