We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Wayna Picchu and Huanya PICCHU

Sarasota, Florida
Level Contributor
149 posts
190 reviews
Save Topic
Wayna Picchu and Huanya PICCHU

I am somewhat confused about these two places. Or, are they the same place? My husband and I will be in Aquas Calientes for two nights in early April .We enjoy hiking and were considering walking up to Machu Picchu. In addition, we were interested in a trek from the Machu Picchu site while we are there. Is it necessary to hire a guide to take the trek from the Macchu Picchu site? Any help would be appreciated. thanks!

Fox Island...
Level Contributor
610 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Wayna Picchu and Huanya PICCHU

I believe Huayna Picchu is the correct spelling and Wayna is the phonetic spelling. They are the same place - a mountain within Machu Picchu. You can hike up Huayna Picchu but be aware it is very steep, lots of stairs and dropoffs. The view from the top is incredible on a clear day! You do not need a guide to hike Huayna Picchu, but you should do it early as there is a limited number of people allowed up the mountain. There is a sign up book at the gate to Huayna Picchu. Allow about 2-3 hours to go up and down. You can also hike to the Sun Gate from MP without a guide. The only time you are required to have a guide is on the Inca Trail, although it's nice to have someone guide you around MP when you first arrive, just to explain the different areas to you.

Lima, Peru
Destination Expert
for Cusco, Lima, Arequipa, Peru
Level Contributor
18,362 posts
504 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Wayna Picchu and Huanya PICCHU

You can also hike to the temple of the moon, which is on the same way to the Huayna Picchu but instead of going up hill, you go downhill.

Los Angeles
7 posts
1 review
Save Reply
3. Re: Wayna Picchu and Huanya PICCHU

You probably won't want to hike to M.P from Agua Calientes. It is better to take the bus that goes up the hairpin turns, which is quite fun and a big part of the experience. It is better to save energy for hiking around once you get up there. As in the other replies you received. By the way, I hope you found something in the Sacred Valley by now. There are so many places to stay that are quite adequate. Hostel Rumichaca and El Albergue come to mind. My favorite is the Hotel Pisaq in Pisaq. It is quite comfortable and very reasonable. The manager is helpful for local info. You can do lots of hiking from there around the Pisaq ruins, which are really something and underrated. A great hike up to them, if you are really strong. Have fun.

Laura

4. Re: Wayna Picchu and Huanya PICCHU

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 1:26 am, August 24, 2009