We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

cost of living in lagos

Which Lagos hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Tegucigalpa...
2 posts
Save Topic
cost of living in lagos

Dears

I been offered a position at an institution operating in lagos and I am trying to calculate my monthly expenses so to figure out how much I have to spend in order to maintain a decent living standard.

We are a couple so we be looking for a small apartment and don't know the range for rents in decent areas. Moreover, can anybody share any information on the costs for one or two course meal at a restaurant, food costs per month when buying at supermarket and cooking, gym or swimming pool membership, and finally transportation.

Also, are there good clinics or hospitals just in case? I heard there is shortage of doctors in the country overall, but not sure whether this applies to Lagos as well, since there seem to be a big expat community

It would be great if you shared any hints on the above or other things I should keep in mind when trying to come up with a figure for monthly living expenses.

kind regards

KS

Danville, California
Level Contributor
1,753 posts
112 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: cost of living in lagos

Restaurants are very expensive - more pricey than San Francisco. Think $100 for a meal for 2. There are no good hospitals or clinics, all of our non-Nigerian employees are airlifted to Europe in the event they need any serious medical care. There are supermarkets but food is expensive. Many people import perishables in luggage with dry ice every time they fly into the country.

I would take care to make sure you have a real job offer before you drop everything. There are many fake job schemes where scammers use fake letterhead from real companies (this has happened to us) to get money from people etc.

Tegucigalpa...
2 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: cost of living in lagos

Dear Boraxo

thanks a lot.

the job offer is not the problem as the company is a european one and they are serious. the trouble i have is to kind of maintaining my actual standard of living in central america in the nigerian context.

wow, $100 for two people!?!?!? i must admit though that as high as that sounds, it appears the health system sounds even scarier a story...

i have read also the kidnapping of foreigners isnt all that unusual even in Lagos area, is it so? do i have to budget for personal security too?

thanks again sir

Liverpool, England...
Level Contributor
19 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: cost of living in lagos

Depending on where your gona live. Lagos gives u more choice and flexibility. You can shop for all and any food at Shoprite which is the best to international standard and cheap to. They are on the Island Lekki to be precise and also have two big supermarket on the mainland. Cost of living can be calculated according to ur taste. You can have a decent meal for under $60 -$70 or an eat all you want at some prestigious hotel in Ikoyi. There are various places u can hang out on the island. Ignore post here from ignoramus who dont live or never been to Nigeria. Less i forget ST. Nicholas hospital is one of the best in Lagos Nigeria and there a few private ones to. Tk care and have a nice time. But remember to be safety conscious while in Nigeria like anywhere else. Cheers

Level Contributor
16 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: cost of living in lagos

I agree with Bembo. But to be ensure you maintain your same standard of living, I would live in Lekki or Victoria Island. Make sure your company offers you at least 2 business class tickets per year to travel abroad and visit family and most importantly, make sure you have a car and driver.

5. Re: cost of living in lagos

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

We're sorry - the TripAdvisor staff closed this topic because TripAdvisor does not facilitate discussions about relocation or real estate purchases because these topics are not considered to be travel-related.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 9:34 am, October 29, 2013