We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Warning, just back from Lagos, AIRPORT SCAM!!!

Stockholm, Sweden
Level Contributor
5 posts
160 reviews
Save Topic
Warning, just back from Lagos, AIRPORT SCAM!!!

I was advised by the local Nigerian Embassy that I did not need a

"Yellow Vaccination Card" as the country I come from is safe.

Upon arrival which was swift, both Immigration and Customs took about 3 minutes I was asked to produce a Yellow Card by a suspicious looking individual.

I was "interviewed" by a tired looking lady just by the customs and advised that I needed to have a Yellow Fever Vaccination and that the fine for not having the Card as well as the cost of visiting the hospital would be USD 150 minimum.

She then asked me if I would like to enter the country because she could see that I was healthy and that she was "kind hearted"...

I produced 10 USD and she acted as if I had just insulted her, it cost me a 100 USD...and she was still muttering on about that I should visit the hospital but that she a was just to kind hearted.

My other collegues who had Cards with them were stopped as well,

they were told that they had either fake cards, or that the cards were no longer valid.

Seasoned Africa travellers they just kept on walking and shrugged the "Inspectors" off.

So, sorry about this long winded story...but if you are on your way to Lagos, make sure that you have the Card with you and that it is updated if necessary.

I will have sombody meet me at the Gate when I visit next.

Otherwise, must say that despite the traffic, loved the city, it's

highly energetic people and generally positive atmosphere

everywhere I went.

Mentioned in this post
Lagos
Lagos
Lagos State, Nigeria
Level Contributor
86 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Warning, just back from Lagos, AIRPORT SCAM!!!

They are always coming up with something new to get money. You have to be just as smart as them or else they will get you. Sad but true...

3 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Warning, just back from Lagos, AIRPORT SCAM!!!

It's just the Nigeria way of getting you to part with something. Truth me is no matter how accurate your documents may be, you'll still be expected to drop something as it is called in Nigerian. These people live on these tips. They'll make it sound so official...Trust me it's all going to their pockets...You should have insisted on your $10. Well take it that you just acuired some useful experience...LOL

Mentioned in this post
Nigeria
Nigeria
Africa
3. Re: Warning, just back from Lagos, AIRPORT SCAM!!!

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post was determined to be inappropriate by the TripAdvisor community and has been removed.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

Our staff may also remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason. Thanks for being a part of the TripAdvisor travel community!

Removed on: 6:05 pm, June 27, 2012
4. Re: Warning, just back from Lagos, AIRPORT SCAM!!!

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 3:42 am, June 21, 2013